cat question to all

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey I've been reading the forums and saw a post at the LOD about sulfer smell after gettin on it,well i get the same thing,the reason is clogging cats(anyway thats everyones answer)so the chip after cleaning was never the problem,my passenger side cat is prob clogged 1 from the tranny fluid that leaked on it from the o ring seal or front seal(still need to fix).So knowing that I have a 2 part question.....1:Give me the best way to gut the cats?,or replace em?, and will a 95 throw a C/E light? (I was told it doesn't) and 2,is it time to replace the o2 sensors? they have 165k on em. :feed :give :L

Personally, I'd replace the 0'2 sensors BEFORE I would replace the cats. What you are smelling is the car running rich pig. I would start there and then move up. With your miles, it may be the cats, but it may not be also. I do not know if anybody on any site has ever posted a definitive reason for the egg smell that is irrefutable. Shop around for the 02's. You might get them for under $50 a piece.

soloution?

i'm getting new cats next week,i get the smell too,but only when i get all up into it,i'll do cats first w/o o2's and let ya know if the smell is gone,i'd also recommend that you try o2's first, my car has 147,000 on it,so we're pretty close there,then we can compare results and see exactly which one does it.i'll know something thurs.or fri.

I had the same smell, but in addition my car wouldn't rev past 4K or it'd fall flat on its face. I punched out all three cats and it ran better than I can ever remember!! Now I don't get a sulfur smell, but I get a terrible gas (rich) smell, so O2s are bad as well. I got a pair comming for it and hopefully fix this 15.5MPG!!!

The easiest way to gut the cats is to take the exhaust y pipe out completely (its not that hard, use some PB Blaster). Make sure the car is high up on ramps and bust out the center of the drivers side one as it won't come off the car. I reccomend a dust mask and safety glasses. Then go to town on the ones in the y pipe. Its much easier in the car, but remember there are 2 i in the pipe. The one that actually looks like a cat is a cat, but also where the pipes join into the "Y" is a cat as well. Not only did it give me more power, but it made my exhaust growl more :) .

Members online

No members online now.
Back