Carnage! Don't worry, I'll fix it

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
4dc65dd0362ba0f63b73606a0e1cbafc.jpg

So, I replaced the valve cover gaskets and chain tensioners. Apparently, I didn't get something torqued properly on the camshaft. I'll test tomorrow to see if there's valve damage.

Anyone know a good source for a replacement passenger side exhaust camshaft?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a whole set of cams for a 4 litre Jag, put away somewhere in a box in the back of my storage. How much of a hurry are you in?

KS

I have a whole set of cams for a 4 litre Jag, put away somewhere in a box in the back of my storage. How much of a hurry are you in?

KS
I'm hoping to get it done next week. Is there a difference in the cams between the 3.9 and 4.0? If so, don't worry about it. I'm hoping to only replace the one.

Don't know about the possible differences. I couldn't get to them that soon anyway. Probably not until into the new year. I would give them to you for the shipping. I have a set of unfinished blanks that I'll be using when I finally get that far.

KS

Thanks. Don't worry about it. I'm going to check ebay and then local salvage yards.

Just tested the valves and they're all good. Thank god.

I should be back on the road by midweek.

I'm back on the road tonight. Swapped in the new cam. made sure everything was torqued correctly. I manually turned the engine a few times to make sure everything was happy and nothing was hitting. torqued the cam again with pressure on different valves to make absolutely sure again. I'll be damned if I was going to break another one.

I'll be babying it for a while. But I'm so happy to have my LS back.

I'm back on the road tonight. Swapped in the new cam. made sure everything was torqued correctly. I manually turned the engine a few times to make sure everything was happy and nothing was hitting. torqued the cam again with pressure on different valves to make absolutely sure again. I'll be damned if I was going to break another one.

I'll be babying it for a while. But I'm so happy to have my LS back.

Did you have to change any tappet shims to adjust to the new cam?

Did you have to change any tappet shims to adjust to the new cam?

Hey saw this and made me also have a question. My Mech said that one of the cams jumped out when he was changing the chains/tensonors on my Gen 1. No worries, he had the tools in place to drop it back in line, but I swear now under hard load I hear something that sounds like very light/soft valve tapping. Even sort of like gas knocking - which I doubt 91 shell, various locations It is not always there, but I hear it and wonder if it could be the primary chains slapping as well. Normal speeds or conditions smooth and quiet.

Want to know if I should mention the tappet shims or adjustment when it is in for the full over haul of all chains.

Sounds like you need a better mechanic. When done properly,,, with the right tools... the camshafts shouldn't move AT ALL. Doesn't matter if you are changing tensioners or cam phasers. NO camshaft movement should happen. Sounds to me like your mechanic is trying to cover his A$$ for not having the right tools. Either that,,, or not using them properly.

As far as the tapping/knocking. If this is only at high RPM's,,, then it is most likely engine oil that has pooled inside the intake manifold... and it is being sucked into the engine due to the high rpm's. Why??? Because the LS V8 has no PCV valve "per se". So the oil collects in the bottom of the intake,,, and is burned with the air/fuel mixture when you stomp the pedal to the floor and keep it there.

Hey saw this and made me also have a question. My Mech said that one of the cams jumped out when he was changing the chains/tensonors on my Gen 1. No worries, he had the tools in place to drop it back in line, but I swear now under hard load I hear something that sounds like very light/soft valve tapping. Even sort of like gas knocking - which I doubt 91 shell, various locations It is not always there, but I hear it and wonder if it could be the primary chains slapping as well. Normal speeds or conditions smooth and quiet.

Want to know if I should mention the tappet shims or adjustment when it is in for the full over haul of all chains.

My LSes have always "knocked/pinged" on The People's Republik's 91 octane. Doesn't matter where I get gas. Oddly I didn't have this problem when we had 92 octane way back in '01...

Sounds like you need a better mechanic. When done properly,,, with the right tools... the camshafts shouldn't move AT ALL. Doesn't matter if you are changing tensioners or cam phasers. NO camshaft movement should happen. Sounds to me like your mechanic is trying to cover his A$$ for not having the right tools. Either that,,, or not using them properly.

I here what your saying, but trust me he is the best in Pasasdena, probably for miles more. He does all types of cars, so I get that he may not have the Lincoln specific lock down device, but he described the way he did it to ensure no issue of cam movement - which to me sounded safe and 'old school'. Would work on any car for that matter. When it did shift up, he just needed to push it back down, and the tools he used would make it sit exactly back in spot. Of course I am sure he would check operation before buttoning up too that the new parts are functioning and all.

Your description of oil pooling could be it anyway, or the octane issue. No worries, just want to know more and would discuss it with him when its all replaced with fresh stuff anyway next week. If I still hear it then since it will have the upgraded oil pump it probably is something totally unrelated, like the gas.

Members online

Back