Car overheated on me today

LSInBmore

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Car overheated on me today on the way home from work...I noticed the fan being really loud at a redlight and saw the temp gauge starting to rise...Pulled over and this is what I saw...Any suggestions on what it could be...Thanks in advance

20120709_150021.jpg

Last edited:
1. Low on coolant
2. A leak in your lines somwhere
3. degas bottle crack
4. thermostat
5. DCCV
6. a simple fuse.

I'm guessing it's the same or similar issue that I had. The inlet tube fell apart on mine and would lose a lot of coolant when the system depressurized.

See the info I posted in this thread for info, parts to order, etc. It replaces the thermostat housing and both pieces of the inlet tube.

I'm guessing it's the same or similar issue that I had. The inlet tube fell apart on mine and would lose a lot of coolant when the system depressurized.

See the info I posted in this thread for info, parts to order, etc. It replaces the thermostat housing and both pieces of the inlet tube.

Bingo.
You have a leak at the front of the engine. (Low coolant and/or overheating can not cause coolant venting at the front of the engine. There has to be a leak.) It's probably the coolant outlet pipe. In any event, the smart thing to do is to replace all the plastic cooling system parts in that area, as the rest will fail soon too.
There are several threads on this, some complete with part numbers and prices.

thanks for the reply Nelliott/Joegr....your post helped a lot,I'll look into getting the stuff this weekend from a buddy

yup, looks like you've got a leak up front where all that white sh!t is. i just had the same thing, followed the thread above and all is good!

yup, looks like you've got a leak up front where all that white sh!t is. i just had the same thing, followed the thread above and all is good!

Did it get all over your pulleys?

Mines starting to leak as well right there in front.

How many miles do you have on it? Just out of curiosity.

And when the coolant is leaking will you see a spot on the ground where your car was parked? So I can look out for this?

Oh and your engine bay needs some serious attention. Filthy

How many miles do you have on it? Just out of curiosity.
I have a hair over 149k

And when the coolant is leaking will you see a spot on the ground where your car was parked? So I can look out for this?
well there was three different failures, two of which i didn't know about right away. the main failure was from the entire right end cap of the coolant outlet pipe popped off and dumped most the coolant right out in the road, the smoke and steam was a dead give away, you wont miss the smell either. however upon dis-assembly i found that the thermostat housing crumpled in two places, the nipple that holds the tip of the thermostat strait, and the locking tab that holds the t-stat in to the housing and the t-stat was sitting in there almost sideways.

but the trickiest one was on the top of the upper radiator hose in the center of the "T" where there is a little rough spot was a crack to small to see, but whistled like a tea pot.

Members online

Back