car not starting

rickztahone

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I thought it may have been my battery. Checked that out and it was good. I then proceeded to check ignition by taking out one of the spark plugs and seeing if it sparked and the car started right up. A few days later, same thing all over again. I'm not sure what is causing this and what is letting the car start with a spark plug out of the cylinder but hooked up to the harness. Any suggestions?

Have you tried to start it while holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor?
That would trigger clear flood mode. Maybe you have one or more injectors leaking.

Also, if you have a gen I, you might try holding the gas pedal halfway down while starting it. That would show if you IAC is sticking closed.

Is you car turning over but not starting or are you turning the key and nothing happens if it is the 2nd choice

you might also look at your keys and see if it is doing it with both keys the Lincoln have a Transponder key if you are losing your programming it will not start.

Have you tried to start it while holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor?
That would trigger clear flood mode. Maybe you have one or more injectors leaking.

Also, if you have a gen I, you might try holding the gas pedal halfway down while starting it. That would show if you IAC is sticking closed.

I have tried starting while pedal was to the floor and pumping. No go.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but I noticed that my driver side exhaust was coming out much hotter than passenger side. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Is you car turning over but not starting or are you turning the key and nothing happens if it is the 2nd choice

you might also look at your keys and see if it is doing it with both keys the Lincoln have a Transponder key if you are losing your programming it will not start.

When I try to start the car you can hear the starter trying to start the car.

It isn't the key for sure. The car does eventually start after the process I described in the OP

This same exact thing happens to me, also have one side running hotter then the other.

I am surprised you guys don't get an expert answer. I am not a Lincoln expert but I do have some experience with cars.

I would check all the spark plugs and COPs.
Uneven heat between the banks would hint on a faulty baffle I read about on another thread.

Hopefully for you I made enough mistakes so that the true experts come out of hiding.

You need to explain the not starting issue more. Does the starter turn and the car does not start? That means it is not the starter. Do you have any issues with the red light on the dash flashing? If it does flash, is there a pattern? How many volts does the battery have? How did you check the battery? You checked the battery and it is good, what does good mean? You need to give more details to diagnose this problem easier.

Members online

No members online now.
Back