Can egg make car paint deteriorate?

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
One morning earlier this year I noticed something like an egg over the "tire hump" on the trunk lid. Not sure if a bird of sorts had pooped an egg out during mid-flight over my car(if that's even possible) or just a random mischievous act. Either way I cleaned it off as much as I could and thought nothing of it until a few days ago when I started noticing the paint cracking and chipping away. It's almost like when dirt goes from wet to dry and you see cracks on the turf is how the paint is beginning to look like and small spots of metal exposed. I'm guessing the best way to remedy this is to sand down the whole trunk lid and repaint it.

Since I'm no auto expert of any kind I have to ask....

What is it about eggs that makes the paint deteriorate in this fashion rather quickly?

Hmm, then maybe I didn't clean it off as good as I thought I had because it certainly has been eaten through to the bare metal of the trunk lid. I take it repainting it wouldn't be too hard with a spray can or two since it's a relatively small area.

depending on the rest of the paint job it would better to let a shop do it if the rest of the paint is bad then rattle can it as best you can. the acid in the egg will eat the paint the longer it is on it. egg is one of the worst things on a paint job. use a good detailer spray on it let the spray soften it about 10 to 15 minutes then gentle remove it with a cloth. after removing it use baking soda paste on it don't let the paste dry hard then use a good wax to cover it Meguiar's , SURF CITY, MOTHERS to name a few.

I read somewhere that it's the sulfur in the egg, which contains amino acids, the key word being ACIDS. From what you're describing, nothing will fix it but a repaint. Goddamn bird got my rear bumper that I just had repainted a year ago. I missed seeing it and now have a big white circle where the clear coat has de-laminated.

It's freaking ridiculous how fast it happens. Within minutes or hours. We can put a man on the moon but we can't invent a paint that stands up to mother nature.

Bird dropped an egg on my truck about 25 year's ago at night, cleaned it off next morning and it was already to late. Had to have the hood re-painted.

Anything you put on paint for too long will ruin it..even tap water out if a garden hose will burn water marks into the paint if left to dry in the sun.

Anything you put on paint for too long will ruin it..even tap water out if a garden hose will burn water marks into the paint if left to dry in the sun.

Vinegar mixed in with the suds along with a good wax pulls water spots right out.

Vinegar mixed in with the suds along with a good wax pulls water spots right out.

Depends what kinda crap is in the water..I've seen some horrific water spots on dark colors that had to be buffed to get them out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back