Can Bad Clock-Spring Affect Turn Signals

Anvil-Head

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I know from numerous posts that my clock-spring on my '02 LS is bad and needs to be replaced. But, my turn signals have just recently started acting weird too. I turn on the left signal, it flashes once or twice then it switches over to the right turn signal, and starts flashing. The end signals are working correctly. Can the bad clock-spring cause this? Or is the multifunction switch going bad also? Wanted to know so that I can change both parts at the same time. Thanks.

I know from numerous posts that my clock-spring on my '02 LS is bad and needs to be replaced. But, my turn signals have just recently started acting weird too. I turn on the left signal, it flashes once or twice then it switches over to the right turn signal, and starts flashing. The end signals are working correctly. Can the bad clock-spring cause this? Or is the multifunction switch going bad also? Wanted to know so that I can change both parts at the same time. Thanks.

I would suspect the stalk. A stalk failure has happened to me only once; and I keep my cars for many, many miles.

It's not from the clockspring failure. It's your multifunction switch starting to fail too. It does sound like you need to replace both.

It is a module in and of itself. There will be a difference between Auto or non Auto wipers.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Turn Signal Switch

It is a module in and of itself. There will be a difference between Auto or non Auto wipers.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Turn Signal Switch

It's an 02, so it has auto wipers.

13K359 Switch Assy - Direction Indicator **4Z-13K359-AA Includes Telescopic/Tilt Control Switch, From: 11/20/2001 To: 11/18/2002 2002 ; With Automatic Windscreen Wiper 1
$126.91

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partlist/steering-wheel~2002-lincoln-ls-1952282-1953429-1592502.html

Final - Changed Clock-Spring and Multifunction Switch

Final Post - Clock-spring was bad. That was why radio controls and cruise control buttons were working crazy and why the airbag light is on. Changed the multifunction switch which was also bad, at the same time. You might as well when doing this job.
Used a T-25 torx bit on the horn switch bolts and a T-50 torx on the steering wheel bolt. Pulled the steering wheel using a cheap 6" puller, against the steering wheel bolt that I left in place and loose, because the steering wheel jumps off when it comes loose. Removed the lower trim panel but did not have to remove duct work or other screws as service instructions said, because there's enough room to remove the "flat black box" half of the clock-spring using a long screwdriver, and connection wires are long enough to disconnect from box. Note: Horn plate springs; brass colored ones go at bottom of steering wheel and silver springs go towards top of wheel.
- After powering back up all the steering wheel buttons work correct now. The air bag light went away, but the ABS is still lit. More troubleshooting

'02 LS V-8 with 135k miles when problems started. Changed these parts at 140k miles

- Ordered new clock-spring Motorcraft XW4Z-14A664-AA from ebay (Tasca.com) for $136.67
- Ordered new multifunction switch with auto sensing wipers, Motorcraft W6000, from Amazon for $105

Final Post - Clock-spring was bad. That was why radio controls and cruise control buttons were working crazy and why the airbag light is on. Changed the multifunction switch which was also bad, at the same time. You might as well when doing this job.
Used a T-25 torx bit on the horn switch bolts and a T-50 torx on the steering wheel bolt. Pulled the steering wheel using a cheap 6" puller, against the steering wheel bolt that I left in place and loose, because the steering wheel jumps off when it comes loose. Removed the lower trim panel but did not have to remove duct work or other screws as service instructions said, because there's enough room to remove the "flat black box" half of the clock-spring using a long screwdriver, and connection wires are long enough to disconnect from box. Note: Horn plate springs; brass colored ones go at bottom of steering wheel and silver springs go towards top of wheel.
- After powering back up all the steering wheel buttons work correct now. The air bag light went away, but the ABS is still lit. More troubleshooting

'02 LS V-8 with 135k miles when problems started. Changed these parts at 140k miles

- Ordered new clock-spring Motorcraft XW4Z-14A664-AA from ebay (Tasca.com) for $136.67
- Ordered new multifunction switch with auto sensing wipers, Motorcraft W6000, from Amazon for $105

or use this

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=53760

Members online

Back