Cams

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What cams would be the best for a non aspirated motor, with a full assortment of bolt ons, and full exhaust, with 4.10 gears?

Has anyone ever done a cam swap for the NA mark?

Would a new valve train be in order?

MrWilson said:
What cams would be the best for a non aspirated motor, with a full assortment of bolt ons, and full exhaust, with 4.10 gears?

Has anyone ever done a cam swap for the NA mark?

Would a new valve train be in order?
I've seen others ask about this, and the consensus was that the gains would not be worth the hours of work it would take to replace them.

The gains would be minimal with stock valvetrain and stock intake manifold. I would not even consider cams before doing the Cobra intake manifold.

What has beenn recommended to me is:

• 03 Cobra Heads, Ported and polished
  • 03 Cobra Cam on the exhaust side
  • Aviator cam on the intake side.

Since we're discussing it - what do you all think of this set up? What do you think it would add?

BTW - its not NON aspirated, its naturally aspirated -

For a full blown NA setup I would use 03 heads, ported 99/01 intake and/or Aviator intake if you can find one, and aftermarket cams. If you must use stock cams use 99 or 01 Cobra cams if you want more top end horsepower or use stock Mark VIII cames for maximum down low and mid range torque. The Mark VIII cams actually have almost the same specs as Mach 1 cams.

Joey...there are a lot of people "in the know" out there who swear the best production head was the Aviator head. I have no idea if it's the same thing as the Mach 1 or not. I know the Cobra head isn't the best flowing head...it doesn't have to be. Forced induction overcomes many ills!!!!

All 03 DOHC heads are the same including the Aviator, Maurader, Mach 1 and Cobra. These are the best heads you can get without getting into exotic 4V stuff like the 2000 Cobra R and Ford GT heads but those were 5.4 anyway. The exhaust side of the 03 DOHC heads flow more than the 4.6 FR500 heads Ford has in their racing catalog. Intake flow is about even. BTW, I have confirmed that Mach 1 cams and Mark VIII cams have exactly the same specs...

95LSC32V said:
All 03 DOHC heads are the same including the Aviator, Maurader, Mach 1 and Cobra. These are the best heads you can get without getting into exotic 4V stuff like the 2000 Cobra R and Ford GT heads but those were 5.4 anyway. The exhaust side of the 03 DOHC heads flow more than the 4.6 FR500 heads Ford has in their racing catalog. Intake flow is about even. BTW, I have confirmed that Mach 1 cams and Mark VIII cams have exactly the same specs...

thought that the maurader was a 2v? (4v supercharged making 302hp...no way)

The Maurader is an NA 4.6 DOHC, they were never supercharged from the factory although Ford was considering putting in the 03 Cobra engine slightly detuned into it but they cancelled that idea.

95LSC32V said:
For a full blown NA setup I would use 03 heads, ported 99/01 intake and/or Aviator intake if you can find one, and aftermarket cams. If you must use stock cams use 99 or 01 Cobra cams if you want more top end horsepower or use stock Mark VIII cames for maximum down low and mid range torque. The Mark VIII cams actually have almost the same specs as Mach 1 cams.
That's my basic plan for down the road. No Aviator intake, though, they're just too tall. I'm gonna go for either FR500 cams or the Crower Stage IIs. I don't understand why people are saying the Aviator heads are the best, there's been a couple people try and tell me that and then won't listen when I try explaining the truth. :rolleyes:

Like I said all 03 DOHC heads are exactly the same. However the Aviator does come with the best intake manifold, it is a similar design to the FR500 variable geometry intake manifold in the Ford Racing Catolog. A stock Aviator engine puts down around 300rwhp in a Stang. Put some 99/01 Cams on there and I wouldn't be surprised if it made 315rwhp NA with no other mods.

I know about the Mod engines. I was just saying that people don't understand that Ford switched to the updated casting in '03 for all of the DOHC engines besides the GT. While the Aviator intake is the best stock intake on the market right now, it is too tall for use in the Mark VIII unless you're using a Cobra R style hood. Even then, there could be some problems with the tubing. The FR500 intake would be ideal because it offers the same benefits but is a much more compact unit.

95LSC32V said:
All 03 DOHC heads are the same including the Aviator, Maurader, Mach 1 and Cobra. .

That is absolutely not true.

For example, there have been three revisions of heads issued for the 03/04 Cobras with the Jan 05 release being the latest. They have more spark plug threads among other improvements and changes.

As to the Aviator heads being the best or not...I have heard from two different mod motor builders that have made this claim. They have put them on a flow bench. I can't believe they would make this stuff up.

Members online

No members online now.
Back