Cadillac de Ville vs Lincoln Town Car vs the Rest. Advice and Opinions Needed.

Tomasz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's start.
The idea of purchasing V8 Am Sedan comes from my son. He just loves it, cause of seeing it in many American movies. What is more he likes the sound of its V8 engines - me as well I must say;). We consider four models seen as Icons of that style. They are: Cadillac De Ville, Lincoln Town Car, Ford Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Caprice.

And that's why we need your help. We have found cars for sale availble in our country Poland. So far, I have heard some bad opinions as for Northstar Cadillac/GM engine model '98, '99. Problems with HG and even with blocks of that engine.

http://otomoto.pl/cadillac-deville-sprowadzony-zarejestrowany-C23290118.html

The better opinions concern Lincoln Town Car. Examples:

http://otomoto.pl/lincoln-town-car-4-6-v8-200km-skora-pneumatyka-C32467956.html

http://otomoto.pl/lincoln-town-car-C35717084.html

There are two generation of that model seen above.
Which one is more worthy, that is the first question.
What would you say about these two, seen in the pictures, that is the second request.

I have to mention that we have limited amount of the money and the car, which will be chosen, will not be using daily, not for everyday use. It will be rather an occasionally ride, and we want keep it for a long time.

Thank you and looking forward for your tips and opinions.

Greet, Tomasz.

Ps.
Consider that Am Sedans are rare here.

I am biased cause I own a 02 lincoln TC, so I would go for the 98 personally. Drive them to see which you like better. Most people liked the older ones because of how they rode.

With the Deville, it's really a hit or a miss with Northstars of the 90's. There's ones that have head gasket issues as early as 60,000 miles (about 96,560 Kilometers) then there's ones that can go 350,000 miles (about 563,270 Kilometers) on the original engine and transmission without having a head gasket problem it's whole life. That said, the Deville will be a faster car, more fun car to drive. (they're still big luxoboats though) The Deville you have linked is a really clean one too! Seeing as you live outside of North America, as much as I want to talk up the Deville, the Town Car would be a better choice. It's overall more dependable and I assume parts are cheaper as well, I'm sure the Lincoln guys car clarify that. That said, if the Deville is close to you, I think it'd be at least worth a look, just to get a feel of the two cars, you might end up liking it a lot.

These might be difficult to find where you are, but the 1994-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, and Buick Roadmaster are other cars you might like. both ride on the same/similar platform to the Caprice. Although both those car were made before 94, from 94-96 they both (some Caprices as well) had the awesome 350 LT1 V8. Essentially a detuned Corvette engine. They are reliable, last forever, and offer top notch performance for the time they came out VS. the cars they competed with. bellow the first picture is a Fleetwood, and the second one is a Roadmaster.
1996.jpg
1995.jpg

1996.jpg

1995.jpg

Thank you for your tips and opinions. As for Northstar, I have been warning all the time - as I am picking up opinions where I can. Of course, as you mentioned above, nothing could happen but in the Northstar case my odds are limited. Even here I am told to move towards Lincoln TC - so opinions are the same.
Cadillac Fleetwood, and Buick Roadmaster seem to be very nice but their length and size causes that they are a bit unhandy over here. Besides it is not easy to find them here as well.
Unfortunatelly the Deville is quite far from my place, approx. 550km.
Anyway thank you very much !

ps.
My son - as a regular 17-year-old teenager changes opinion. Now he is highly influenced by the Iconic '80 models, such as Chevrolet Caprice and Ford Crown Victoria. Try to find some in good shape, possible but hard to. Wish me luck with all that stuff ! :)

But what to say - honestly, I am happy that his interests are not common here.
mqdefault.jpg 89caprice-small.jpg

Oh, by the way. Do you know if Chevy Caprice '83 uses a Rochester E-Quadrajet carburettor. I am asking cause, the one is for sale here. But, the Rochester E-Quadrajet carburettor is quite difficult in maintenace, it is said.

http://otomoto.pl/chevrolet-caprice-krakow-C36001830.html

89caprice-small.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Thank you for your tips and opinions. As for Northstar, I have been warning all the time - as I am picking up opinions where I can. Of course, as you mentioned above, nothing could happen but in the Northstar case my odds are limited. Even here I am told to move towards Lincoln TC - so opinions are the same.
Cadillac Fleetwood, and Buick Roadmaster seem to be very nice but their length and size causes that they are a bit unhandy over here. Besides it is not easy to find them here as well.
Unfortunatelly the Deville is quite far from my place, approx. 550km.
Anyway thank you very much !

ps.
My son - as a regular 17-year-old teenager changes opinion. Now he is highly influenced by the Iconic '80 models, such as Chevrolet Caprice and Ford Crown Victoria. Try to find some in good shape, possible but hard to. Wish me luck with all that stuff ! :)

But what to say - honestly, I am happy that his interests are not common here.

Oh, by the way. Do you know if Chevy Caprice '83 uses a Rochester E-Quadrajet carburettor. I am asking cause, the one is for sale here. But, the Rochester E-Quadrajet carburettor is quite difficult in maintenace, it is said.

http://otomoto.pl/chevrolet-caprice-krakow-C36001830.html
I really feel for your situation, it's nice to see that our cars have an international appreciation. The Fleetwood is the iconic American highway cruiser, it's the kind of car that has endless body roll in corners, but on a long stretch of road, it shines and you won't feel a thing. At the time it was the largest production car made that you could buy, measuring in at close to 19 feet. Although all the other cars you are considering are smaller then the Fleetwood, their handling is going to be almost exactly the same. The Deville will be the best handling car out of the bunch, and have the best performance though, the Town Car will probably be the most dependable and reliable, and the Crown Vic and Caprice, while they are generally very reliable and dependable cars, you have to consider their age, no matter how good or reliable a car is known to be, parts aren't made to last forever, and eventually they wear out and break. The Crown Vic and Caprice are going to be the easiest to work on though. So there you have it, the Deville (the driver's car, the performer and handler), the Town Car (the reliable car), and the Crown Vic and Caprice (the "some what" classics, at least more so classic then the others) I still stand by the Town Car, and although I absolutely love the Deville more then the Town Car, in your situation I just think if something happens to it, it's going to be to difficult and expensive to repair. That said the Crown Vic or Caprice would be an equally good choice. I just looked at the Caprice, it looks nice, I'm not entirely certain but it looks to be an ex police car, I don't know if there was that much of a difference mechanical wise between civilian versions and police versions in those years though. Good luck with your decision! :D :Beer

It looks like an agreement across The Ocean;) . l like this Caddy as well, although my wife says it adds years to the owner, another words is not sexy enough.:D
Neverthless I would have bought that mentioned above, but that technical issue Hold my Horses. :confused:

But, more seriously, the newest AmCar are not seen here as reliable as the older ones. The older are tough - that is why they are highly appreciate among AmCar Lovers here. Anyway they are not in common, everyday use. Well maintained Classics are well seen here and are kind of some investement.

28006_3481_500_Dobrze-Mowi-Polac-Mu.jpg

Greets !

28006_3481_500_Dobrze-Mowi-Polac-Mu.jpg

Hello once again.

This time proud to present - it was bought at the end of May - Chevrolet Caprice 5.0 V8 305 cui - Mfg. date: 12.1985. Just after body and paint renovation - back this Monday.

It is nothing unusual in the States, but over here it is quite rare automobile.

20150805_144901.jpg

20150805_145021.jpg

20150805_145050.jpg

20150805_145211.jpg

20150805_113703.jpg

- spark plugs changed, high voltage cables, oil 10w30
- brand new mufflers - Dynomax SuperTurbo - installed

Regards

ps.
Under the car our dog is taking a rest :)

20150805_144901.jpg

20150805_145021.jpg

20150805_145050.jpg

20150805_145211.jpg

20150805_113703.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back