C&L MAF housing?

MarkVIII93

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to get an 80mm C&L maf housing but I want to know more about the installation process and what the maf sensor looks like disassembled. If anybody could post some pics to give me a more in-depth look at how these are installed that would be great!

Here's some old pics...

engfront.jpg

engside.jpg

front%20open%2003.jpg

That was before the IceBox...

bling3.jpg

BTW - the above pictured installation of the IceBox is incorrect. The clamp securing the filter to the MAF is supposed to be OUTSIDE the IceBox. ;)

These and other pics can be found by clicking the link in the sig below.

driller said:
FWIW, the one I had used the stock electronic module.
Couldnt I just take my stock electronic module and put it on that housing without any problems?

I couldn't get it to work on my car and it had the sample tube for 24lb injectors. I mean, it fit fine but the engine didn't like it.

95LSC32V said:
I couldn't get it to work on my car and it had the sample tube for 24lb injectors. I mean, it fit fine but the engine didn't like it.

Then it must not have had the proper balance tube. We have sold hundreds without issue.

Dont sample tubes just adjust the Air/Fuel ratio? Ive heard that for every 5mm bigger your maf is from stock, your car will run 18.25% more lean.

So if I get this and it runs weird, could I just buy a sample tube from you geno?

My rule of thumb is, if I can buy it used for less than 1/2 the new price, most of the time it is a good deal. Following that rule, you can afford to be wrong once in a while. ;)

The seller has zero feedback rating.

Well, I got it for 71+9 for shipping, so 80 bucks for the 80mm C&L maf! My grandfather bid on it with less than 10 seconds left and beat out two other mustang fanatics that have been bidding on it for the past few days. HEHE:p

ONEBADMK8 said:
Yes you can, just give me a ring. I have them in stock.

How much are they? I bought 95LSC32V's old meter and want to be prepared in case it has the wrong sample tube.

scott9050 said:
How much are they? I bought 95LSC32V's old meter and want to be prepared in case it has the wrong sample tube.

Is the one on the unit have any color on it on the flat side?

ONEBADMK8 said:
Is the one on the unit have any color on it on the flat side?

I just took it out to look, and there is no color on the flat side. The only color is a patch of black at the upper back of the tube.

I'll see how it works, since mine is stock it should work fine. I used a 73 MM C&L on my Mustang, bought it back in 98 and never had a problem with it.

I think it didn't work well on mine because my SCT chip has modified fuel curves. I told the person making the custom burn for me that my car was running really rich so he programmed some very aggressive fuel and also timing curves for my car. Since the C&L flows more and doesn't have the huge "pole" obstruction the stock mass air housing has, it causes you to run a little bit more lean. I think in my case, it was probably running too lean and that's why I was getting the code "fuel system at rich adaptative limit: system lean." So in response to running so lean, the ecu tried to make the car run as rich as possible and this was causing the CEL from time to time. It should work fine on your stock Mark VIII and if it doesn't you can always run the stock mass air until you get a custom burned chip or better yet a dynotune. Personally I don't think the stock 80mm mass air is a restriction on any NA 4V 4.6. Does the C&L mass air housing flow better than the stock housing? Of course but that doesn't mean you will be making more horsepower from that. In reality what happens is the horsepower gained is from your car running leaner. Just from the C&L mass air you should gain around 5-7rwhp and with the 9 inch conical probably another 4-6 rwhp. Should be good for a consistent tenth in the 1/4 mile. Another way to gain an easy tenth in the 1/4 mile is to shed 100lbs off the car.

Ok! I got the maf a few minutes ago, now how do I know if I have the right sample tube?

Ok! I have everything installed, I started it up, it ran for about 2 seconds and stalled. Now, could this just be a matter of taking my stock maf sensor and putting it on the new housing? BTW the sensor came off a 5.0 mustang.

Good chance you have the wrong sample tube. Stock 5.0 Mustangs have 19 lb injectors, but a lot of people (including me) go straight to 30 lb units for later mods. If not that, make sure that the hot wire for the MAF is clean using electronic parts cleaner.

Ok, I have the stock electronics on and at first it started then stalled, Did it one more time, it started but idled high(1100RPM) and rough, then all off a sudden it started running fine. I know its running more lean but I dont know if its too lean. Im taking it for a ride in a few to test it. I have also heard that when you twist the maf it will run better/worse.

Members online

No members online now.
Back