bulb # question

00_slow_5spd_ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i just bought some "xenon" bulbs 212 for the dome lights, they look great. now i need the bulb number for the ones underneath the glovebox where you feet go. anyone know?

i used 168 for the footwell lights just for the record. they are what i consider a peanut bulb

What are the bulb #'s for the map lights?

they are 212-2 for the dome lights i believe. but the process of putting them in isn't all that easy, well maybe easy but just time-consuming

they are 212-2 for the dome lights i believe. but the process of putting them in isn't all that easy, well maybe easy but just time-consuming

very time consuming. i got the ones in the front in but not yet the one in the back. im at work right now. if anyone could post the bulb numbers for the doors, and the floor in the front. im not able to acsess any pdf, also how many of each bulb i will need. thanks in advance

2 for the footwells. How much did those xenon ones cost you?

No, no. The doors are 192 ( straight from the manual ) and the foot wells are what Ken has explained. 194 or 168.

One for each footwell. They are super easy to change. Just poke your head down there and pull one out..

Actually, 168, 192 and 194 all cross reference with one another. So, you'd need 4 bulbs to do the doors and foot wells.

Just get 194's and be done with it, they are all wedge base bulbs anyway. I replaced all interior lights with LED 194's (footwell, map lights, rear lights in a 2004, no door lights this model year). I recommend www.superbrightleds.com for fast shipping and pretty reasonable prices.

Just get 194's and be done with it, they are all wedge base bulbs anyway. I replaced all interior lights with LED 194's (footwell, map lights, rear lights in a 2004, no door lights this model year). I recommend www.superbrightleds.com for fast shipping and pretty reasonable prices.

How easy/hard was the process to change the overhead map lights? Can you give some details on it?

How easy/hard was the process to change the overhead map lights? Can you give some details on it?

i did this on my 2000 LS: you have to pop off all the plastic beauty covers for the roof handle, visor, and visor grip to get to the screws, then pull off a pillars. mainly a pita. took like, about an hour, including gathering materials. if you are doing it outside, do it in the shade on a not so hot day because you may find yourself wrestling with the headliner up by the rear view. iirc i had to take the rear view down too.

Last edited:
I am talking about the push-button map lights for an '03 LS8 that sit in front of the sun roof and directly above the transmission.

How would that be done? I assume the whole vanity just pulls out from the roof, correct?

Map lights and dome lights are copmletely different in their own right.

I am talking about the push-button map lights for an '03 LS8 that sit in front of the sun roof and directly above the transmission.

How would that be done? I assume the whole vanity just pulls out from the roof, correct?

Map lights and dome lights are copmletely different in their own right.
Did you check out the installation guide I posted? The dealer uses a special tool to release the map and dome lights from the headlight. If you don't have that tool you'll have to access the retaining clips by pulling back the headliner as described in the guide above.

Did you check out the installation guide I posted? The dealer uses a special tool to release the map and dome lights from the headlight. If you don't have that tool you'll have to access the retaining clips by pulling back the headliner as described in the guide above.

Yes, your guide will help thanks.

Ever think about stocking that tool? Looks like I'll be going to my dealer and helping myself to that special tool.

You absolutely do not have to remove the headliner, or even pull it back....not sure what these guys are talking about. Maybe for '00 through '02 you need to do that, but not '03 plus. The whole assembly that houses the map lights/moonroof controls/sunglasses holder pops out and "falls" down. Simply take a butter knife and gently pry at the front (windshield side) of the assembly. You'll pop two metal clips loose, then just work your way back until the whole thing is loose. To get to the bulbs themselves, it will help greatly to unhook a few wiring harnesses up in there. Replace bulbs, reconnect harnesses, pop piece back in, done. I was in and out in 15 minutes. While you're up in there, notice the gas cylinders for the head airbags, pretty cool.

The footwell lights are a simple pull out light out (completely exposed), pop new bulbs in.

The rear seat lights (built into the grab handles) are a piece of cake also. Pull down grab handle, pop cosmetic shields off both sides, remove one screw on each side, pull assembly loose, replace bulb, reverse the process. Hope this helps.

I just put the super bright LEDs I wanted in my License plate in my foot wells tonight, they weren't at all that easy. I pulled and pulled. Eventually I realized that you have to actually remove a cover that helps with the vents for the heater and such with two plastic push-ins. After that you could either twist out the socket and remove the bulb or pull out the bulb (<-still a pain ) but it wasnt as easy as just pulling the bulb out.

I just put the super bright LEDs I wanted in my License plate in my foot wells tonight, they weren't at all that easy. I pulled and pulled. Eventually I realized that you have to actually remove a cover that helps with the vents for the heater and such with two plastic push-ins. After that you could either twist out the socket and remove the bulb or pull out the bulb (<-still a pain ) but it wasnt as easy as just pulling the bulb out.

I have a 2004, and the footwell bulbs were literally pull the old out, put the new one in.......there is no shield or anything over them. What year is your LS? I had an incredibly easy time replacing all interior bulbs and the license plate bulbs, so I'm just surprised when all these people on here talk about how big of a job it is. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know...

Its a 2000, its not that there is a shield over the bulb but a beauty cover type piece around the bulb and cover the underside of the dash and glove box that can make it harder to get to the bulb it self.

Maybe it was just a stubborn bulb but it was a Royal Pain until I removed this cover.

I have a 2004, and the footwell bulbs were literally pull the old out, put the new one in.......there is no shield or anything over them.
+1, same in my 2000. For the map lights, I'm sure I could have yanked the whole controller down. Of course something would have broken. Instead I pulled the headliner down and accessed it from behind.

Members online

No members online now.
Back