Building a new tower.

Its a cool idea.....a flash from the past.
I had sizzlers...that caught my eye.

Thats a badass case.

You got to get it together....you must be itchin.

The Thermalrite Extreme heat sink came yesterday. Wicked, super heavy and the quality was far better then expected. No I have to lap it.

case-10.jpg

case-12.jpg

case-11.jpg

The Thermalrite Extreme heat sink came yesterday. Wicked, super heavy and the quality was far better then expected. No I have to lap it.

Hope that thing comes with a heavy duty mount. The newer machines need the larger heatsinks and fans to help dissipate the heat better. But the manufacturers are getting out of control with the weight and size of these things, honestly for a heatsink like that, I'd rather have a case that lays flat so gravity isn't pulling so hard on it. Either that or they're going to have to start sending braces with them so you can help pick up the extra weight. I just don't like the idea of a 3lb. heatsink hanging off my motherboard. If it were anchored to the case on the other side of the motherboard, then I'd feel a little better about it.

I guess that's why most people are pushing the liquid cooled systems for the higher end machines. But honestly, I've heard more bad things about those than anything. Usually, the pumps are the first thing to go, and with someone like me that leaves the machine on 24/7 that could be catastrophic if you weren't around when it happened. I still like air-cooled better.

Wtf you want to use this thing for hack into the Pentagon? Seems a little excessive when prices fall at this time and age quickly. Next year you will still be kicking major ass but sadly new hardware is reinvented daily. Imo, buy last year hardware at discount price and follow along as time goes. Save yourself some cash and still have a top of the line rig.

Best of luck with the behemoth your are making. :)

Btw Liquid cooling is a must for what you are doing. Tech has come leaps and bounds in this area as of recent. If you are as adamant as your Lincoln as your rig, I would look into it.

Hope that thing comes with a heavy duty mount. The newer machines need the larger heatsinks and fans to help dissipate the heat better. But the manufacturers are getting out of control with the weight and size of these things, honestly for a heatsink like that, I'd rather have a case that lays flat so gravity isn't pulling so hard on it. Either that or they're going to have to start sending braces with them so you can help pick up the extra weight. I just don't like the idea of a 3lb. heatsink hanging off my motherboard. If it were anchored to the case on the other side of the motherboard, then I'd feel a little better about it.

I guess that's why most people are pushing the liquid cooled systems for the higher end machines. But honestly, I've heard more bad things about those than anything. Usually, the pumps are the first thing to go, and with someone like me that leaves the machine on 24/7 that could be catastrophic if you weren't around when it happened. I still like air-cooled better.

It only weighs 1.1 ponds total. Do you know how thick the P6t board is? It could hold 2 of those heat sinks LOL. I am air and will be air cooled, I have no need nor reason to use liquid. Show my rig back to back water vs air, thats what I would like to see. Ill be running cool as a cucumber. Also guys remember I am not one of these GAME GEEKS who games 10hrs a day and has to have everything on the comp clocked and redlined. Ill be using this for 80% photoshop and the rest gaming here and there. This thing will be a crusher.

Wtf you want to use this thing for hack into the Pentagon? Seems a little excessive when prices fall at this time and age quickly. Next year you will still be kicking major ass but sadly new hardware is reinvented daily. Imo, buy last year hardware at discount price and follow along as time goes. Save yourself some cash and still have a top of the line rig.

Best of luck with the behemoth your are making. :)

Btw Liquid cooling is a must for what you are doing. Tech has come leaps and bounds in this area as of recent. If you are as adamant as your Lincoln as your rig, I would look into it.

Thats why I went with the newest and latest socket. So it will last and be reinvented/upgraded with modern technology, no more fsb, 24gb ram capability etc. Plus the P6T was $28.00 more thn the Rampage? SO where did I spend too much? In fact show me excessive pricing on anything I bought so far.

Already looked into liquid, not needed for what I am doing, very pricey and THAT will BLOW me out of my 3k budget for sure.

Heres a pricing update: All prices include shipping.

$219.00: Thermaltake Spedo Advance Package from Ewiz.com.

$319.50: Board - Asus P6T Deluxe OC Palm Edition from Ewiz.com.

$265.00: Memory - 2gb (3 chips) Corsair Dominator PC 12800 from Newegg.com.

$116.50: Blu Ray DVD ROM - Lite On IHES206-08 Blu-ray Disc Reader with DVD Writer Combo from Tiger Direct.com.

$114.00: Tv Card, Happauge WinTV HR 2250 from Digital Living Inc.

$136.95: Storage drive - SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5 TB SATA II 7200 RPM 32MB Buffer Hard Drive in a retail box from Dell.

$75.77: Thermalrite Extreme Heat Sink.

I need to get my Raptors and chipset as well as the psu still.

I suppose not. You got a great price on the memory. I would have gotten a different Asus board but that just a personal preference. I'm planning on outfitting an new laptop with Blue ray drive. They are a little pricey thou.

For a complete system to liquid cool everything on your rig that would be up there. But from what I have read in the past of you I'm sure you could fabricate your own very cheaply. The benefits are vastly superior for over clocking and such. Just like your car we all like to push our Marks around. :gr_devil:
If its there and you can use it, you probably will. Plus it just looks cool. :D

With using liquid cooling you do gain the benefit of being able shut the rig off. By the time comes from heat stress on your parts unlike most conventional air you will be ready for more advanced components.

Is your 3k budget include monitor, keyboards, mice etc? If its all in the tower thats a lot of money for me to swallow. The economy isn't what it use to be. Well not for me anyway. ;)

All and all you will do what works for you. Just giving my opinion.

Thats cool. I have been saving for this tower for 18 months now. This is what I want and what I will build. My 3k will be in the tower alone. Aready have a Logitech WAVE Keyboard and a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. I already have a sick monitor now but I will be upgrading to a Sharp 1080p Aquos in a 32" or 42" version.

You think this is pricey for a BluRay?

$116.50: Blu Ray DVD ROM - Lite On IHES206-08 Blu-ray Disc Reader with DVD Writer Combo from Tiger Direct.com.

Or is Laptop stuff more?

One that is not going to make much heat in a small laptop yes.http://www.newegg.com/Product Here is an example. /Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118009
This one listed would work well but from what Ive been told this model has a short life.
I dont have a link to the one that would be best for my application but it would run about 600. Once again rather a large sum.Then again my PS3 was that price when i bought it.
The portable I have now burns the :q:q:q:q out my lap when the dvd is engaged. I can only dread what is happening inside.

One that is not going to make much heat in a small laptop yes.http://www.newegg.com/Product Here is an example. /Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118009
This one listed would work well but from what Ive been told this model has a short life.
I dont have a link to the one that would be best for my application but it would run about 600. Once again rather a large sum.Then again my PS3 was that price when i bought it.
The portable I have now burns the :q:q:q:q out my lap when the dvd is engaged. I can only dread what is happening inside.

Whats the make and model of the player your looking for?

I'll have to ask the head tech at work hes the one who has been keeping me in tune with what I have been looking for.

Hurry up and finish it already, you take any longer, i might drive over their and build it myself.

Nothing more frustrating and exciting then waiting for new computer parts. You take anylonger and I might make the 6 hour ride over their :)

Lenovo ThinkPad Ultrabay Enhanced Blu-ray Burner BD-RE drive Ultrabay Enhanced - IDE-24x(CD)/8x(DVD)/2x(BD)8x(CD)/8x(DVD±R)/2x(DVD-R DL)/4x (DVD+R DL)/2x(BD-R)/1x(BD-R DL)4x(CD)/4x(DVD±RW)/2x(DVD-RAM) Plug in module, is the one he suggested. Did a search on it today found it for 350-560. Maybe in another month or so I will have the extra or the price will fall a bit.

Lenovo ThinkPad Ultrabay Enhanced Blu-ray Burner BD-RE drive Ultrabay Enhanced - IDE-24x(CD)/8x(DVD)/2x(BD)8x(CD)/8x(DVD±R)/2x(DVD-R DL)/4x (DVD+R DL)/2x(BD-R)/1x(BD-R DL)4x(CD)/4x(DVD±RW)/2x(DVD-RAM) Plug in module, is the one he suggested. Did a search on it today found it for 350-560. Maybe in another month or so I will have the extra or the price will fall a bit.

Its already $420.08 !?!? Your on the net yet I find the item WAY cheaper then you said it was. Doesn't anybody use Google Shopping, EVER?!?! No wonder your all bitchin about what I am getting it's because you guys dont freakin' search.

I said I found it 350-560. I would believe when he originally quoted me the price it was probably the high.

I said I found it 350-560. I would believe when he originally quoted me the price it was probably the high.

Cool I got ya'
Man laptops are loot to outfit.

Im looking at video cards next. I am torn on the 4870x2 or the 295.

Why in some game benchmarks one card is better then the other based on the game?

I really only play Call Of Duty and the 4870x2 kicks the 295 in the nads on the game.

I heard rumors that the 295 runs hot and all. If I get the 4870x2 it will be the Asus tri fan version for sure.

Also the biggest question is this. When you see the benchmarks and one is higher then the other by small margins will it be noticeable? Or am I overthinking the 2 cards and flipping a coin I couldnt go wrong?

Juat picked up the Intel i7 965 for (OUCH) $800.00. FAR BETTER price then anywhere else but still! LOL! It's all good I did so good on the rest of the pricing that the chip isnt killing me too much I guess.

Finally started on it tonight.

Man all I can say is UNREAL as far as the chassis goes.

The Thermaltake Spedo Advance is beyond words. Everything is a snap, literally, no tools.

Amazingly well engineered, the wire management system is a blessing, look at these shots. All I have left to do is the PSU and 2 main drives. Superclean Machine. This chassis rocks.

case-13.jpg

case-14.jpg

case-15.jpg

case-16.jpg

case-17.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That case looks amazing!! I really like the painted interior, I might have to gut my case just to paint it. You are going to have a killer setup for sure.

A couple comments to offer:
I assume you just threw it in there for pictures but I'll make the comments anyway :)
I believe your RAM is in the wrong slots.... typically match the color DIMM's to utilize the triple channel ram (check the user manual to verify).
It is typically easier to install the CPU and cooler with the motherboard out of the case.
You got a great deal on that 965!! Best thing about it is the unlocked multiplier. If you want to overclock, simply change the multiplier keep the voltage and other settings and you can have 4.0ghz easily.

LOL the mother board looks so tinny in comparison to the tower. That thing is almost the size of some of our new servers. Nasty :gr_devil:

Members online

No members online now.
Back