Buick Riviera Vs Mark VIII

Ummm... so who's going go be driving over the bumpy roads? Is that something you do often...

Which car can you modify more?

This is only a sale to the lame few who are looking for comfort...

I didn't buy my Mark VIII's for a 6th person to ride nor a 5th, 4th, or 3rd. If they want to ride that's up to them I really don't car...

The Riviera looks like it has a suppository shoved up its @ss.

And this is only talking Stock cars...

That must be some kind of promotional video for GM. It's probably what they show to their car salesmen.

shouldnt the comparison be between the Mark 8 and the Eldorado or something?

Agreed. Haven't even looked at the vid (YouTube blocked at work) but I really don't think it's fair comparing a 2-door to a 4-door. In most cases, the 2-door will lose in terms of passenger luxury/comfort, but will kick the 4-door's arse in terms of performance and style!

Riviera's are two doors. It is *supposedly* Buicks Mark series, so to say.

Bleh... shows how much attention I pay to Buicks. I didn't know they had 2-door models. I don't know how they say the cars are remotely comparable, though. For example, the Rivieras available in the Mark VIII age (according to Wikipedia) came with an optional supercharged V6 rated to 240 hp, whereas the Mark VIII's stock V8-based drivetrain put out 280 hp in base models, and 290 on LSCs with the only notable difference between them being the rear end and exhaust.

Add in mespock's comment of "which car can you mod more?" and the Riviera is *owned*. Then again, that's just the opinion of someone who likes a little "go" along with his "show".

Also they are comparing those Gen II's.... it would be different if it was a
Gen I Can't wait for the Chickman LOL

Your right! good thing they didn't use a gen.1, That would of made the riviera even appear better!! LOL!:D

If they suppose to be compairing "PERSONSAL" luxury vehicles, Who cares about rear leg room. and since I don't intend on driving my Mark on rail road tracks, I'll stick with my stiffer suspension. And if you slap a super charger on any V6 you'd get more horse powder-DAH!!!!.There is no comparison to their 3.8 V6 and the Marks 4.6 dohc 32v V8.
How about comparing the two today!! LOOK WHAT CARS THE 4.6 DOHC 32V ENGINES ARE IN TODAY!!:cool: And the riviera's body style is a takeoff of the Ford TAURUS!!!

Your right! good thing they didn't use a gen.1, That would of made the riviera even appear better!! LOL!:D

If they suppose to be compairing "PERSONSAL" luxury vehicles, Who cares about rear leg room. and since I don't intend on driving my Mark on rail road tracks, I'll stick with my stiffer suspension. And if you slap a super charger on any V6 you'd get more horse powder-DAH!!!!.There is no comparison to their 3.8 V6 and the Marks 4.6 dohc 32v V8.
How about comparing the two today!! LOOK WHAT CARS THE 4.6 DOHC 32V ENGINES ARE IN TODAY!!:cool:

Hehe... "horse powder"... I'm not sure about that. My step-dad's Bonneville has the same supercharged V6 as the Riviera, and my dead '93 could still clean its clock at the track!

I wish that they went through with the Super Mark.

What a bunch of :bsflag:!!

I concur with "who's going to be riding in the back seat?" and "I'm not planning on riding over any railroad ties any time soon".

The Riviera makes me want to :yuck:

Bleh...that's 3 minutes and 45 seconds I'll never have back...:why:

i agree!! the gen 1 should be compared with a beretta!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if rich wants a war hes gonna get it LOL

:D YEA!!! GEN.2's ARE YOUNGER AND MORE VIRAL:p .."WE STRONG LIKE BULL"[/B]LOL! The cars that is, not necessarily the drvers:D

Well, the Mark should'a been compared to the Eldo, and Riviera\Toranado to the Tbird and Cougars...

Just my 2 cents, Both the Mark VIII & the Lexus are far better vehicles than the Riviera! The Riviera was just plain ugly!

Just my 2 cents, Both the Mark VIII & the Lexus are far better vehicles than the Riviera! The Riviera was just plain ugly!

I agree with that!...But also as someone said above take a look at the cars now and bet that the poor build quality that gm is notorious for will be much more evident in the car now. It seems that gm cars are solid for 50,000 miles or so then all the rattles come out.

Well, the Mark should'a been compared to the Eldo, and Riviera\Toranado to the Tbird and Cougars...

Agreed, it was that way till the T-Bird and Cougars went bye-bye...

Also - they dont talk about the LSC version...

You know when you go to a car lot and the dealer says, " so what other cars are you looking at?"

These videos are where he gets his phoney answers. "Oh, yes. well, that Mark VIII does have a redesiged front end, and it makes 280hp, but this one.....(insert bullcrap here about car)"

It's a training sales pitch video.

If you watch the other video with the comparison to the Lexus they basically address that it's for training.

And for a person walking off the street into a GM dealer to buy a new car... what else would you tell them... but BS... Ask the biggest BSer and ex-car salesman MonsterMark... LOL...

What I found funny was in the Mark VIII video he talks about the Mark VIII being better handling on the slalom but worse in the bumpy and boy what a bumpy road (I know everyone who bought a brand new $35,000+ car in 97 took it to the roughest roads to drive it).

He also down graded the Riv. on the slalom vs. the Mark VIII, but int the Lexus video he addresses the Riv on the slalom saying that you know already the great handling of the Riv. Hmmmmmm... sounds like a Politician speach... All half truths and full of lies that a chump would want to hear because they just don't know any better.

Anyway .... I like my Mark VIII's and that's about it... plus I'd buy a T-Bird over the Riviera anyday as once again... which car could you modify if you wanted to make it go faster... which car has the more potential...

Oh and another question if you were a new car buyer at the time.. (granted gas was below $1.00 a gallon when this add was put out). Which one gets better gas mileage that V-8 in the Mark VIII or that V-6 in the Riv.

And the dang thing is Front Wheel Drive! What kind of fun is that..

Members online

No members online now.
Back