Broken Wheel Stud! DOH!

lsbit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced a wheel stud on their LS? I have been preparing the LS for Winter and was getting ready to rotate the tires and when trying to loosen one of my lugs, the stud broke! Passenger Rear! Anyone replaced one of these?? I am not looking forward to it. I hope I don't have to replace a hub or something, as it is a PITA.

Thanks,
Don

PM QuikLs, I know he had a problem with his. He takes his tires off a lot more than normal people do which was why, I believe.

Yeah, Quik has posted that information. Basically, you just turn the hub until there's a blank space behind the stud, then tap it out with a hammer. Put the new one in, tap it into place, then put the wheel on and torque the lug nuts (100 lb-ft).

Also anyone have a recommendation for/against buying them at the local auto parts store. I broke passenger front today putting my snows on.

Manual recommend using tool to push them out I was going to hammer it out and pull it in with an old lug nut.

My on-line Lincoln dealer (fordpartsnetwork.com) does not have a listing for studs.

Yep - I been through several....

1W4Z-1107-AA is on the package.

Like SoonerLS said - hammer them out, tighten them back in.

And for Heaven's sake....use a bit of antiseize on the studs before you install the nuts! These problems will disappear!!

2001LS8Sport said:
And for Heaven's sake....use a bit of antiseize on the studs before you install the nuts! These problems will disappear!!

I have used anti-seize. I see you’re from Arizona, so you haven’t dealt with road salt. I run snows and drive on salty/slushy/snow covered roads every weekend from December 1st through early April. With the cheap lug nuts Ford uses there is no way Anti-seize will prevent rust.

At the end of last ski season I left the snows on since they didn’t have enough thread for another season (I drive ~12,000 miles in the winter). During the spring summer fall I only put 5,000 miles on the car. This weekend in getting the car ready for another season I went about installing the Chrysler lug nuts and the summer tires (new snows go on Thanksgiving). Nineteen of the lugs came off. One or two had some rust, all had Aluminum corrosion, and one broke.

Quick LS is 1W4Z-1107-AA good for both front and rear? Thanks

Thanks all! I did a search on the forum but did not find anything on this. I used the wrong words, I guess.

I went to my local dealer to get some touch-up paint yesterday, and he made the comment that he hasn't seen me in a while and was wondering what broke on it this time. I told him that other than the window regulator, things were fine lately. I guess I jinxed myself, ha? :)

BTW, I usually clean the studs with a scotch-brite pad every time I do a rotation. I was surprised I had this problem. Maybe I weakened it when I removed the half shaft for the rear-end rebuild. I have been spoiled here in the south where we rarely see salt. I bought this car from the northeast, so I am dealing with things I haven't had to deal with since I lived in Michigan 13 years ago! All the other lug nuts came off easily. This thing snapped before the nut ever turned.

pragmatic said:
I have used anti-seize. I see you’re from Arizona, so you haven’t dealt with road salt. I run snows and drive on salty/slushy/snow covered roads every weekend from December 1st through early April. With the cheap lug nuts Ford uses there is no way Anti-seize will prevent rust.

At the end of last ski season I left the snows on since they didn’t have enough thread for another season (I drive ~12,000 miles in the winter). During the spring summer fall I only put 5,000 miles on the car. This weekend in getting the car ready for another season I went about installing the Chrysler lug nuts and the summer tires (new snows go on Thanksgiving). Nineteen of the lugs came off. One or two had some rust, all had Aluminum corrosion, and one broke.

Quick LS is 1W4Z-1107-AA good for both front and rear? Thanks

I live in Arizona NOW...but I lived in Idaho for 45 years. I have seen it snow every single month of the year. A normal winter for us was snow on the ground in November and quit in May. So I've seen my share of bad roads, salt, corrosion, etc. I have NEVER, EVER had a lug nut sieze where antiseize was used. I promise...it will do the job.

Members online

No members online now.
Back