Broken Shifter knob button! Fix/Replace?

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My shifter knob has always been a little loose, but today while driving back from autozone it and the spring popped out. Scary as hell, I was wondering if I could get it into park once I got home. I could, but it's super loose and unsecure and obviously needs to be fixed or replaced ASAP.

It looks like the plastic is cracked. Is it repairable, or just replace the whole shifter? Can I just use a replacement button, or no?

...Anyone selling a First gen shifter knob? I can't find one online at the usual places and don't have time to hit up junkyards right now like I normally would do.

1111.jpg

1111.jpg

That happened to me years ago. Just leave the spring out and put the button back in and your good to go until you find another one. I've been using it like that for a long time now.

But hopefully I have another handle on the way!

My shifter knob has always been a little loose, but today while driving back from autozone it and the spring popped out. Scary as hell, I was wondering if I could get it into park once I got home. I could, but it's super loose and unsecure and obviously needs to be fixed or replaced ASAP.

It looks like the plastic is cracked. Is it repairable, or just replace the whole shifter? Can I just use a replacement button, or no?

...Anyone selling a First gen shifter knob? I can't find one online at the usual places and don't have time to hit up junkyards right now like I normally would do.

View attachment 828462723

Hello.
On your button broken hook.
I have F.S. Wood Shift Knob Custom made For Lincoln Mark VIII 93-96.
Made from natural Walnut: $100.00 shipped.
I make Custom wooden Steering Wheels and Shift Knobs.
!!! CAUTIOUSLY !!!

MARK VIII 93-96

For the Mark VIII 93-96 it's important to change the OD button first because of the way the electrical contacts work:
1. Carefully take out the O/D button.
2. Take out the shift knob fastening;
3. Carefully remove the shift knob;
To install a new shift knob do these steps in reverse order because of the O/D button contacts! (It is possible to damage contacts of the O/D button!)

Thanks,
Alexander.
Lincoln MARK VIII Collector’s Edition #979
https://picasaweb.google.com/102374517780485476514/MyWork
alsonin@yandex.ru
Staten Island, NY 10308

DSCF0664.jpg

DSCF2897.jpg

DSCF1040.jpg

try Mitchell's in Conyers, Ga......they may have just the knob/handle
1-800-682-9257 or 1-770-483-4716

Hello.
On your button broken hook.
I have F.S. Wood Shift Knob Custom made For Lincoln Mark VIII 93-96.
Made from natural Walnut: $100.00 shipped.
I make Custom wooden Steering Wheels and Shift Knobs.
!!! CAUTIOUSLY !!!

MARK VIII 93-96

For the Mark VIII 93-96 it's important to change the OD button first because of the way the electrical contacts work:
1. Carefully take out the O/D button.
2. Take out the shift knob fastening;
3. Carefully remove the shift knob;
To install a new shift knob do these steps in reverse order because of the O/D button contacts! (It is possible to damage contacts of the O/D button!)

Thanks,
Alexander.
Lincoln MARK VIII Collector’s Edition #979
https://picasaweb.google.com/102374517780485476514/MyWork
alsonin@yandex.ru
Staten Island, NY 10308

You do out standing work Alexander! If there was anything wood in my car I would defiantly be a customer.

i have a black shift handle in perfect condition and your choice between chrome or black button pm me if interested.

Members online

No members online now.
Back