Brembo teaser...

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I've had these 2000 Cobra R Brembo calipers for my 98 LSC for a few months now, but have had so much crap going on lately that I haven't even been able drive the 98, let alone work on it.

I had a little bit of time today, so I took the chance to fit them up on the car, just to make sure they'll work with my wheels.

They JUST barely fit. There's about a 1/16th of an inch of space at the spot closest to the center, and gradually gets a little bigger the farther out you go.

Here's some pics...I know this caliper is on the wrong side (the bleeders should be pointing upward), but it doesn't matter for fitment purposes. Both sides are identical...

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Oh man, that's CLOSE! It almost looks like if you rotate that wheel a little counter-clockwise, the spoke will rub the bump under the piston. But those brakes look fantastic! And I love the FR500 wheels. They look like the old "styled steel wheels" from the early 60's Mustangs.

Yeah, I spun it very slowly and watched the spoke the whole time, and it doesn't get any closer.

I had to be very careful when I was putting the wheel on too. Before I put the lug nuts on, the wheel could be wobbled enough to hit the caliper, so it needs to go STRAIGHT on.

Yup. Had to drive it to work all last week while I was waiting for a new starter from Rock Auto for the 97.

There's so much pollen on it right now, it almost looks like that black one with the yellow stripes...

1/16th... Eeeeeeeeek! :eek:
Once you get it out on the road I would flatten out a piece of putty on the calipers and take it for a easy drive to see how much flex you're getting in those rims, at least before you do any spirited driving.
Everything moves a little, better safe than sorry.

When I put my big brake setup on my WRX I actually had to grind the outside of the caliper cause it rubbed the inside of the rim. It uses the stock calipers with 14.5" rotors.
0209091720b.jpg

Made the biggest difference in the world as the stockers were 10.5 or something like that?

If I get a set of 17" or 18's for my Mark I'll get some big rotors and try it :cool:

Stop

I had EXACT set-up CATASTROPHIC!!!!!!!!The caliper is going to heat up and expand and you'll rub.I promise!!!!I lived it at the track!!!Sellthe wheels!

Did they have new pads in them for the test fit? I once put a set of wheels on one of my trucks with 50% pads, when i changed the pads..... the wheels wouldnt fit.. Out came the grinder.

Did they have new pads in them for the test fit? I once put a set of wheels on one of my trucks with 50% pads, when i changed the pads..... the wheels wouldnt fit.. Out came the grinder.

Yes they did. Even so, they are rigidly mounted, so pad wear has no effect on caliper placement.

Hell, put a 1/8" spacer between the wheel and hub.

I'll never use a spacer, but I do have some ideas that will give a little extra space.

I'm pretty confident that I'll be fine with the space I have, but it never hurts to have a little extra.

Members online

No members online now.
Back