Breaking the "Magic" 300 Horsepower barrier

red73mustang

LVC Member
Reaction score
I know there are not many performance parts or upgrades avail for the Contis because they're not hot rods and the FWD trans can't handle massive output, but has anyone achievable a legit 300 horsepower or more, have you Dynoed it and what mods did you do?

Chet

I don't know if I'd say they can't do it. The same engine makes 300+ in a Mustang so other than the tune and perhaps exhaust restriction, why couldn't it do so in this platform?

It's not scientific -- I haven't even raced it at the track -- but my car is dead even with the latest version Hemi-powered Charger (with the "racetrack" tail lights) from 30-90 mph. I'd say my little 4.6 is quite healthy with a simple naked cone air filter and handheld tuner. Superchips claims 18hp / 25tq improvements at the wheels so that should put me at 300 crank hp with nothing else. Not bad for a tuner I picked up new in box for $99!

Trans life is greatly increased when you raise line pressure so it doesn't slip between gears. I will eventually add a larger trans cooler but the 99+ models already have a decent one from the factory. Our 3.56 axle ratio makes for decent pep -- as much as a FWD drivetrain with no limited slip can handle anyway.

I'm no keyboard racer and have no hopes of my car ever being truly fast. In fact, it's the slowest car I've owned in 20 years, but it's still a great sedan that you can't come close to with any other car for the purchase price. That's why I got one :D

I too am slowly focusing on these things. Based on which way would be good for increased power.

I have the same tuner as MooJohn, and my belts slip/squeal when I get on the gas hard and it shifts gears. I have already put on a new serpantine (sp) belt and it still does it.

I have the same tuner as MooJohn, and my belts slip/squeal when I get on the gas hard and it shifts gears. I have already put on a new serpantine (sp) belt and it still does it.

Mine will do that occasionally without engine upgrades, only changes I've made is intake silencer removal, new Motorcraft plugs, and Summit Racing coils.

Not sure how an engine tuner would cause serp belt to squeal under hard acceleration, but could the belt or one of the accessories like the alternator be loose? I can't wait to start doing some low dollar mods to this beast just for the fun of it!

Definitely a good start is the silencer removal, it's in front of the front drivers side tire behind the bumper. I'm not sure how it would be done without taking off the bumper because I did it when I changed my grille from stock black plastic to chrome, which required taking the bumper off. I know it can be done and has been done though.

The silencer can be removed if you pull the driver's side front wheel and pop the fenderwell lining out of the way. My grille was cracked when I got the car and I haven't replaced it yet because I don't feel like removing the bumper.

You're more likely to chirp the belt after a tune because the engine speed changes more abruptly during shifts. The only permanent fix for that is said to be a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I don't have one yet but it'll be done the next time that belt is replaced.

Members online

Back