Brake Rumble & Shake

regiment1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm chasing a brake issue.

When travelling at speeds above 50, if I gently apply the brakes (for instance, to shed 5 mph without diving the nose when you see a cop), there is a low but loud rumble and a shake you can feel in the car. It seems to be more pronounced when the brakes are hot, after a few minutes of driving. The sounds seem to come from the front.

I had new pads installed last summer. I think they were Bendix. New front rotors were installed today, to no effect.

Any thoughts?

check the front sway bar links... most likely a suspension problem... could be a swaybar rattle under torque

also, tie rod ends can cause this when they are worn, I noticed mine are a little worn and my car does this as well with all brakes replaced in past year

While this sort of thing is usually an issue with the front rotors (we all call it warped rotors, but usually they aren't really warped), it can also be caused by the back rotors. You should be able to tell by using the parking/emergency brake. Just be careful of where you are and how fast you are going when you do it. (It's easier on gen I since you get more than three levels of braking force to use.)

Yep, I've seen people replace everything in the brakes and suspension at the front axle just to find it's the rear rotors that have DTV.

While this sort of thing is usually an issue with the front rotors (we all call it warped rotors, but usually they aren't really warped), it can also be caused by the back rotors. You should be able to tell by using the parking/emergency brake. Just be careful of where you are and how fast you are going when you do it. (It's easier on gen I since you get more than three levels of braking force to use.)

I tested it this morning using my parking brake, and sure enough there was the rumble.

Next step is inspection of the rear brakes, I guess.

I tested it this morning using my parking brake, and sure enough there was the rumble.

Next step is inspection of the rear brakes, I guess.

Check to see that the caliper slides are free and well lubed. If not, replace as needed. You'll need to replace the rotors and pads either way.

Check to see that the caliper slides are free and well lubed. If not, replace as needed. You'll need to replace the rotors and pads either way.

The rotors were not good at all. I replaced them and the pads, and now we have no rumble.

Members online

No members online now.
Back