Brake Light & Turn Signal get wet and shorts out

Bengal313

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport package:

This have been happening for about 6 months now. Every time it rains hard my back lights somehow gets water inside it and shorts out either or both the brake lights and turn signal. I'm thinking the rubber seal between the light housing and body it needs replacing. Any idea on a solution? Can I replace the seal or do I have replace the entire housing?

this is common, my rears cracked as well and look like a fish bowl when it rains, sure to blow out your bulbs.

the plastic seal around the housing withers away and allows water in, as a temp fix I used black tape to catch and route the water away.

this happened on my ls back in 2003 around the same time my headlights got water in them and fogged up.

if your housings are in decent shape you might be able to just repair the seal somehow

Yeah I had a crack in one of mine. It lets water in and blows the fuse/bulbs. I used some marine sealant 'lifeseal' about 3 years ago and no problems since. Look for a crack in the housing--the assembly is easy to remove.

Members online

Back