Brake light replacement 96 STS

Omicron

LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally I got something I like. This car is near showroom. It's disturbing to see all the trunk leak problems here and other places on the net, I hope that doesn't befall my car. It seems to have spent its life in a garage, all 86000 miles of it.
Anyway, I got a burned out brake light and I can't figure out how to replace it. It's the one on the trunk lid. The outer brake light you just take off the 3 doodads and pull off the assembly and pop in the good bulb, as the manual shows. I only can find one doodad for the assembly in the trunk lid, though. What am I missing? I'd really not want to start pulling off the felt stuff just to look for those unless I'm sure they are underneath. I gave it some exploratory tugs, the felt seems to be in there quite securely.
A little help? Gotta be something simple.

(Pretty thing, huh? The inside is just as as nice. Took it to a dealer to buy a part, salesman descended on me and begged me for it before I got 30 feet.)

Cad.jpg

Ah, I got it now. I took my car to the guy who does almost all my fixing, turns out he has one of these, too. Come to find out you need 2 men and a boy to do this. You >do< have to peel the felt stuff back, but it's secured with these plastic "nails" and the doodads are underneath that you unscrew to get the light assembly out. He has a tool, looks like one of those things you cut dandelion roots with. That's how you get those plastic "nails" out so you can peel the felt back. JEEZ what a major PITA! Fortunately, the guy is careful and doesn't ruin the plastic stuff and it all goes back in. While we had that thing out, I replaced all the bulbs in there with the "LL" series of bulbs, hoping they last longer so I don't have to go through this again for a while. So the lesson here is: "don't try this at home", not unless you have the tool and the patience to get at the inner doodads that hold the assembly in place.

I sure would like a nice 67 Pontiac. <sigh>

Members online

Back