Brake issue after r1 rotors, ss brake lines

NickT88LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So last week I did the R1 slotted brake rotors, SS brake lines and used Akebono brake pads. So been smelling heavy brake odor, notice today left rear brake rotor getting blue in color, uh oh. So take wheel off today and it is hard to turn the wheel. I open the bleeder to see if brake line was holding pressure on caliper-no pressure came out and caliper did not release-still tight on rotor. Checked slides (changed to new when did brakes) still good, caliper slides back and forth good but still tight on rotor. I try to pry caliper to get piston to move in and relieve pressure-no luck. Remove caliper and I am able to turn piston in easily. Put it back together, pump brakes and locked pretty tight to rotor again. Remove caliper and turn piston in again, this time I don't press brake pedal but pull parking brake a few times to get adjustment, rotor turns now with slight drag, not heavy drag, until I press brake pedal again and it gets tight to the rotor. I now open bleeder and remove brake hose from caliper and it is still tight on rotor. My logic tells me brake caliper is bad, but why now after doing the brakes??? I used correct tool to turn in brake caliper. By searching the link below is closest I found to what I am getting less the advance trac light, which now is on because I was checking this tonight by myself and could not bleed the brakes after removing brake line, so pedal is ****ty. Anyone else have issues???

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...c-icon-after-New-Brakes&highlight=advancetrac

And also can someone explain exactly how advance trac operates??? It is a fun ride now with ****ty pedal and light on, car pulls when braking now with the light on and air in the system.

It's possible that the internal seal popped when you screwed the caliper back in and now it's jamming up. Calipers do wear out, so I'd guess it was just getting ready to go and your work drove it over the edge. Replace calipers in pairs, because if you replace one the added pressure in the system that a new caliper allows will pop the seals on the old one.

Members online

Back