Bought my first LS

sid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, after several years of lurking in the shadows I finally bought me an LS. I found an '06 sport w/122K miles. It's black with black interior, very clean and non-smoker car. It's not fully loaded, but has a mix of options. I bought it from the 2nd owner who was was good friends with the 1st owner.
I got service records up to 110k miles and a lot of the common issue have been addressed already like coils, transmission issues, window regulators....

I'm currently trying to address a overheating issue. All the plastic has been replaced as well as the hoses and degas bottle. I tried the bleeding procedures and everything went great until the last part of setting at idle. The temp will slowly climb. I'm gonna try it again after the car cools down. Maybe still some air in the system

I also need to go through the front suspension. All in due time.

I love the car and excited to mess around with it. Here is a list of options.
Black Ink Interior
Nudo Leather
Sport
Less Fleet Related Items
Wixom Plant Build
U.S. Sales
Less Military Vehicles
Feature Content Group 1
2006 JOB #1 Program Control
Less Luxury Package
Less Special Language Label
Owner Hand Book Pack
With Solar Tinted Windshield
With Metallic Trim Accents
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
Electrochromic Mirror With Compass
Drv Pwr/Heated/Mem/Puddle Lamp
4 Door Saloon
Pass Pwr/Htd/Mem/Puddle Lamp Mirror
With Front 2 Way Headrest
With Electric Driver Seat Recliner
With Electric Pass.Seat Recliner
With LH Electric Lumbar Support
With RH Electric Lumbar Support
With Integrated Rear Headrest
With Drivers Heated And Cooled Seat
With Pass Heated And Cooled Seat
Less Rear Heated Seat
With Engine Oil Cooler
With Illuminated Door Entry Keypad
Less Sun Roof
Less Transit Coating
Rear Bumper Sensor Device
Front License Plate Holder Deluxe
Less Air Curtain Restraint
With Driver Air Bag
With Passenger Air Bag
Spare Wheel - Mini Steel
7.5 X 17" 5 Spoke Chrome Alum Wheel
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
Less Immersion Heater
50 State Emission Requirements
Special Suspension
3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
With Anti-Spin Traction System
Normal Fuel Fill
With Man Trans Shifter Knob-Leather
With Manual Shift Auto Trans
For Unleaded Fuel
With Memory Adjustable Foot Pedals
Less Steering Column Lock
Leather Steering Wheel
With MPH/KMH Speedometer
Less Acoustical Warning System
With Message Centre
With Perimeter Anti-Theft
AM/FM Cassette/CD/Clock
With NAAO Radio Frequency
Less Upgraded Sound System
High Intensity Discharge Headlamp
Less Daytime Running Lamps
Less Side Repeat Flashers
Less Rear Fog Lamps
Less Battery Cut Off Relay
Ebony (Solid C/C)
Generic Country Group 1
Vermont Vehicle Reg Code Label
Less B&A Control Codes Issue 030388
5W43-18B036-L* L/F SPRG/SHK
5W43-18B036-L* R/F SPG/SHK
5W43-18W002-F* L/RR SPG/SHK
5 Speed Auto Transmission 5R55S
Lincoln LS
High Version
(-)"IRL"
(-) GVMT Service Administration
(-)"CDN"
(-)"TW"
(-)"GU"
(-)"BRN"
(-)"KOR"

... All the plastic has been replaced as well as the hoses and degas bottle. ...

Define "all plastic."
Is any coolant showing up on top of the engine (under the throttle body) after driving?
Is the fan working?

Oh sorry for not being specific. The thermostat housing, housing that attaches to the cylinder heads, pipe that bolts to the block behind the thermostat housing, upper rad hose, lower rad hose, and degas bottle have all been replaced. This was done by previous owner and looks to be really recent. I don't know about the thermostat, and the water pump looks original. I can not find any coolant residue anywhere. The fan is working.

The previous owner ran a small auto shop. I don't know how familiar he was with these car so I don't know if what they did was correct (bleeding). It only gets hot at idle or stop and go traffic. That's why I suspect there still might be air in the system. I'll keep looking for leaks or residue.

I only paid $4k for the car, so I don't mind putting a little $$$ into it to make it right.

Congratulations on your purchase. Now....SELL IT!!!! OK, I'm kidding, but you will find your LS gives you LOTS & LOTS of problems. I just got mine back from the Lincoln dealer today. I paid $868 for them to troubleshoot why my battery was discharging for no reason. They said they never found the cause, but it seems to have corrected itself. ??? Also, I had coolant leaking from the thermostat housing and so they replaced all 3 parts of the housing, the thermostat and some gaskets (so they say). Then they called me a week later just to tell me my Engine Intake Manifold was also leaking. But here's the kicker, they replaced the $1,853.58 part for FREE!!!! They said that since it wasn't in the original estimate, then they didn't want to charge me. The guy did tell me that it cost them $1,100. I did check before leaving the dealer, and noticed a different manifold on the car. I also saw one in a trash can in the shop. So, I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Anyway, this was the 3rd time in the past 5 years I've had cooling issues. I actually replaced all these parts, plus the degas bottle, back in 2010, and now had to do it again (less the degas bottle). In 2013, the issue was only a top radiator hose. So just a warning, you will need a tow truck in your future while owning this car. However, I'll NEVER get rid of mine!!!!!!! I want to pass my LS, I named him Obsidian, to my son. I love my LS and despite the many problems, I can't imagine life without him!!!

LOL, Yes I am well aware of what I'm getting myself into. I've been a mechanic for many years and like a challenge.

Welcome!

My guess will be that the Degas bottle was replaced with the Dorman bottle which is now bad. Either that or a slight crack in the radiator side tank which isn't visible unless you really know what you're looking for.

Check for coolant pooling behind the driver-side front tire. Mine only did this under "special" conditions, meaning not all the time.

Open the hood of the car. Look past where the grille would normally be (if the hood was down) towards the passenger side and the driver side you will see two radiator side tanks. Check there for white residue. The crack on my radiator only showed itself when my buddy put the car in drive, held the brake and stepped on the accelerator. I could see the crack spread and coolant drip out.

That's what I would check.

Also, the correct and proper bleeding procedure is listed above. Click the "TECH ARTICLES" button above (toolbar) and then follow the bleeding instructions to the exact letter.

... but you will find your LS gives you LOTS & LOTS of problems. ...

Not all of us have had such bad problems. I've had two since new. One is at 180K+ miles and the other is at about 140K miles. Yes, I've had to replace DCCVs and cooling system parts, and radios, and so on. However, relative to the other new cars that I've had, they have been just as reliable.

... Also, I had coolant leaking from the thermostat housing and so they replaced all 3 parts of the housing, the thermostat and some gaskets (so they say). Then they called me a week later just to tell me my Engine Intake Manifold was also leaking. But here's the kicker, they replaced the $1,853.58 part for FREE!!!! They said that since it wasn't in the original estimate, then they didn't want to charge me. The guy did tell me that it cost them $1,100. I did check before leaving the dealer, and noticed a different manifold on the car. I also saw one in a trash can in the shop. So, I guess I'm pretty lucky....

I strongly suspect that what happened was that they broke it when reinstalling it (have to remove it to replace some of the cooling parts). The only thing the V8 intake manifold can leak is air. There's no coolant or oil going through it.

.... I don't know how familiar he was with these car so I don't know if what they did was correct (bleeding). It only gets hot at idle or stop and go traffic. That's why I suspect there still might be air in the system. I'll keep looking for leaks or residue.

Have you since bled it by the procedure: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33004.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_142

The leaks can be difficult to spot. There could some where the rubber gaskets press against the aluminum block or heads, if they didn't clean the surface really well. My experience has been that trapped air will cause overheating while driving quicker than at idle. You might look for dirt between the condenser and the radiator.

Yep, I followed the bleeding procedures to the T. I'll continue to look for leaks. I'm wondering if they put a thermostat back in when they replaced the housing. I had to re-index the window motor after they replaced the regulator, and they left some bolts out of that. Found a broken bolt on the valve cover from when they replaced the gasket. So I know what type of workmanship they have....

I monitored the coolant temp on a scanner from a cool start, and the temp never cycled up and down from the thermostat opening like normal cars do. it just kept climbing..

Not all of us have had such bad problems. I've had two since new. One is at 180K+ miles and the other is at about 140K miles. Yes, I've had to replace DCCVs and cooling system parts, and radios, and so on. However, relative to the other new cars that I've had, they have been just as reliable. Well, if you had to replace the DCCV, cooling parts, radios and so on, then I would have to say you too have had lots of problems. However, I do understand what you are saying since you have owned a BMW and others. I think going with a regular car, like a ford, chevy, honda or toyota, has much better reliability than the luxury cars. It seems to me that the more expensive a car, the more problems it will have. Over the past 5 years of ownership, I have only driven my LS about 16,000 miles. Actually might be less than that, I need to look. I have had to invest more money into it than any other vehicle I've ever had. BUT, I still love my LS!!!

I strongly suspect that what happened was that they broke it when reinstalling it (have to remove it to replace some of the cooling parts). The only thing the V8 intake manifold can leak is air. There's no coolant or oil going through it.
I just got off the phone with Tom Daniels, the owner of Landmark Lincoln, and he told me that a mechanic confessed to over tightening a bolt on the manifold. So I told him I appreciate the honestly, but I should have been told that all along instead of being lied to.

I hate it when they are not up front with you. Makes it hard to trust them the next time. I was a service manage for a Mitsubishi dealership and I can say for sure, honesty is the best policy! It will keep the customers coming back for many years.

Not all of us have had such bad problems. I've had two since new. One is at 180K+ miles and the other is at about 140K miles. Yes, I've had to replace DCCVs and cooling system parts, and radios, and so on. However, relative to the other new cars that I've had, they have been just as reliable.
But if you have had to replace DCCVs, coolings system parts, radios and so on, then wouldn't it be safe to say you too have had many issues with the LS? lol; I've only put around 16,000 miles on my LS in the past 5 years, maybe less, I need to look. Yet, I've invested more into him then all other vehicles I've ever owned. It seems to me that the more expensive the car, the more problems it has. All the Fords, Chevys, Hondas and Toyotas I've ever known people to own has been very reliable. I'll never get rid of Obsidian, my LS, but I do need to get another F-150 as my primary vehicle.

I hate it when they are not up front with you. Makes it hard to trust them the next time. I was a service manage for a Mitsubishi dealership and I can say for sure, honesty is the best policy! It will keep the customers coming back for many years.
Damn right!!! I guess I'm lucky they didn't try to hide it or tell me it was cracked when I brought it in so I could pay for their mistake. But it would have been nice for the service writer to have just told me why my car was being delayed.

But if you have had to replace DCCVs, coolings system parts, radios and so on, then wouldn't it be safe to say you too have had many issues with the LS? ....

I think those things are reasonable for a 320K mile and 11 year span. All cars need some things done along the way. The more stuff a car has, the more there will be to fix. Any base model car should require less, and loaded cars will take more. Most of my other cars have been more on the loaded side than the base side. Almost all LS repairs have been done on my time, not its. Meaning that I spotted a developing problem, ordered parts, and picked a weekend to replace it. Meanwhile I drove the car without any issues. An exception to that was my alternator. However, I must admit it gave me warning a few months before it failed (strange noise), but I didn't pick up on it.

If you don't like the number of parts to be replaced on an LS, then stay away from BMW and Jaguar.

If you don't like the number of parts to be replaced on an LS, then stay away from BMW and Jaguar.
I was going to ask you about that BMW of yours and how reliable it's been? :) I would guess all BMWs, Jaguars, Mercedes, Audis and Range Rovers would require a lot more attention from the dealership, more than what I would want to give. So yes, I'll stay far away from them. I'm getting another F150 and will just use that at my primary vehicle. All the F150s I've ever owned have been great!!! Very few problems with them.

Oh yeah Joegr, don't leave the forum just because of one guy's BS. We all know he's a moron and just laugh and point at him. It would be a shame to lose your knowledge and input.

Congratulations on your purchase. Now....SELL IT!!!! OK, I'm kidding, but you will find your LS gives you LOTS & LOTS of problems. I just got mine back from the Lincoln dealer today. I paid $868 for them to troubleshoot why my battery was discharging for no reason. They said they never found the cause, but it seems to have corrected itself. ??? Also, I had coolant leaking from the thermostat housing and so they replaced all 3 parts of the housing, the thermostat and some gaskets (so they say). Then they called me a week later just to tell me my Engine Intake Manifold was also leaking. But here's the kicker, they replaced the $1,853.58 part for FREE!!!! They said that since it wasn't in the original estimate, then they didn't want to charge me. The guy did tell me that it cost them $1,100. I did check before leaving the dealer, and noticed a different manifold on the car. I also saw one in a trash can in the shop. So, I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Anyway, this was the 3rd time in the past 5 years I've had cooling issues. I actually replaced all these parts, plus the degas bottle, back in 2010, and now had to do it again (less the degas bottle). In 2013, the issue was only a top radiator hose. So just a warning, you will need a tow truck in your future while owning this car. However, I'll NEVER get rid of mine!!!!!!! I want to pass my LS, I named him Obsidian, to my son. I love my LS and despite the many problems, I can't imagine life without him!!!

I had a discharge problem with my retro TBird. Turned out to be a faulty AC Control Head.

Took about ten months to correct.

I was going to ask you about that BMW of yours and how reliable it's been? :) ...

Very reliable, but that reliability has required a fair amount of maintenance. BTW, it has a lot of plastic cooling system parts, and they all have to be replaced every several years too. Add to that a very complicated PCV system with plastic parts. It does seem to have the best transmission of any car that I've had.

I had a discharge problem with my retro TBird. Turned out to be a faulty AC Control Head.

Took about ten months to correct.
Oh god, don't tell me that. After asking several people and doing some research, I went back to the dealership and asked about everything they did to try to find the problem. I felt satisfied they covered everything, but who knows. One guy here had the problem because of a amp for the radio. Maybe that was joegr, but it took a long time to find it. The guys at Landmark told me it could just be a plug that had some corrosion on it and it was removed when unplugging and plugging it back in. Hope so. They said it seemed to have corrected itself. Thanks for the info. I'm keeping track of what caused this problem for everyone.

Very reliable, but that reliability has required a fair amount of maintenance. BTW, it has a lot of plastic cooling system parts, and they all have to be replaced every several years too. Add to that a very complicated PCV system with plastic parts. It does seem to have the best transmission of any car that I've had.

So then is BMW your favorite? You know Chevys, Fords, Hondas and Toyotas all probably have cheap plastic parts too. However, they seem to be pretty dependable. So why are the cheap cars more dependable then the expensive, luxury ones? I've owned two chevys, an Oldsmobile and a few F150s. Never had any expensive issues with any of them.

I test drove a few bmw's (E46 coupes) before I decided on the LS. They drove nice, but everyone of they had a strong odor of crayons! So much that I got nauseous of one of the test drives. I researched them, and they have their issues. vanos, plastic cooling stuff, bushings, electrical gremlins.... For the price, I was able to get a lot more options with the LS. I still like the looks of the bmw's and their engines last forever!

Well, decided to tackle the headlights while I was waiting on the car to cool down. I got the driver side done. Looks a ton better! I put H9 bulbs in the fog lights. I epoxied the display buttons back to the ac vent. So all in all a productive after noon.

AC has a 1262 code, and air does not blow through the defrost vents. Guess I need to take a look at the actuator behind the instrument panel.

Members online

No members online now.
Back