blue smoke :(

zmt325

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
under hard acceleration i am starting to get a nice cloud of blue smoke...:(

i am thinking rings, could it be something else.. simpler maybe? like pcv? 133k first gen

Yep. That's what it sounds like. If it were just on startup, I'd say valve stem seals. But on hard acceleration, some compression is getting past the rings and pressurizing the block forcing engine oil past the rings into the combustion chamber. Good luck with it.

Monitor your oil consumption. Every once and a while i'll notice a little smoke during the morning startup or when jamming it down. Yet, I lose very little if any oil between changes.

What type of oil do you use and before you got it, what type was used? Weight? See, some people around here use 10W30 and our engines are high compression and not made for that weight of oil. My dad was a 10W30 and 10W40 freak but his truck was supposed to have 5W30. Now it smokes at start up and when you open it up going down the road.

I inherited the truck but it needs new valve seals and I hope that's all. Nothing special about the truck. It's just a 88 GMC 1500 step side with a 93 350 engine. It ran fine and still does but until he started changing the oil, it never smoked. 10W30 is what got that started. The oil cap plainly states 5W30 and he still put in 10W30 & 40 :rolleyes:

What type of oil do you use and before you got it, what type was used? Weight? See, some people around here use 10W30 and our engines are high compression and not made for that weight of oil. My dad was a 10W30 and 10W40 freak but his truck was supposed to have 5W30. Now it smokes at start up and when you open it up going down the road.

I inherited the truck but it needs new valve seals and I hope that's all. Nothing special about the truck. It's just a 88 GMC 1500 step side with a 93 350 engine. It ran fine and still does but until he started changing the oil, it never smoked. 10W30 is what got that started. The oil cap plainly states 5W30 and he still put in 10W30 & 40 :rolleyes:

We old school folks used to like to start using heavier weight oil after an engine gets over 100k miles or so on them, despite what the manual says. Nowadays, engines are built to much tighter tolerances than they were 30 or 40 years ago. So using heavier weight oil isn't necessary anymore. It takes a lot of getting used to. My Mark has over 200k miles on it and it is very hard for me to pick that 5W30, what we used to call "break-in oil" instead of the 20W50 like I used to use in my 200k plus mile cars:) Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks:D

We old school folks used to like to start using heavier weight oil after an engine gets over 100k miles or so on them, despite what the manual says. Nowadays, engines are built to much tighter tolerances than they were 30 or 40 years ago. So using heavier weight oil isn't necessary anymore. It takes a lot of getting used to. My Mark has over 200k miles on it and it is very hard for me to pick that 5W30, what we used to call "break-in oil" instead of the 20W50 like I used to use in my 200k plus mile cars:) Sometimes it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks:D

That's why the truck has a 93 engine in it lol. He was set in his ways when he was alive and there was nothing anyone could say to make him think any different. When I get done doing everything to this Mark, I'm going to get started on the truck. Right now I just keep a current tag on it and keep it out back. No hurry to mess with that thing to be honest.

ugh, that is what i did... when it hit 120k i started using 10w30.. looks like i might sell the 93 and keep the 95 :( i really love my old 93 even as bad as it looks. i have spent a lot of time behind the wheel and under it...

old dog

hear hear!:D

just keep the oil topped off, use a high-mileage formula.

You'll prob. get another 100k out of it :)

just a thought,if you want to try to something ,do a round or two of auto-rx, you never know, maybe the rings are not bad,but sticking etc.

If it were me, I would drain what you have in there now and spend the cash for 6 quarts of Mobil 1 fully synthetic. Get the 5 quart jug from walmart and buy an extra quart. It's cheaper there unless you know of a cheaper place. Put in a new filter and they carry Motorcraft. Change it all out and give it time to work it's magic, if it's going to work it. Looking at a $50 bill or less but it might just be alright unless you have been running 10W30 for a long time. Either way, it still might work for you.

Fill up with some good 93 and add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and hope for the best. I think it's worth the spend. I say this because you're saying it does it when you punch it. I would not say this if you were getting smoke right from start up and while idling, like I get from the truck. Two totally different engines and I think yours still has a good chance to revive itself before any major damage is done. Drive normal for half the tank before doing any WOT's and then give it a shot and see what happens. You might be surprised.

Members online

Back