Blower vs. N20 power est.

Screw-Rice

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Dont like to bench race but I am trying to decide on whether I should stick with nitrous or if I should consider sticking to my original plan of a blower. The engine in question will be a 93 Mrk8 engine with 60k. Down time/cost will be somewhat of an issue so I dont know if I should try to figure away to do forged internals or remain stock.

My question is will I put down more power with a 150 shot on a stock internal engine or with a vortech pushing 8lbs. Either way would be with a good tune.

If I go forged than I may want to run a Novi and aim for over 500rwhp...but that might be extreme for a daily driver.....MIGHT

Screw-Rice said:
Dont like to bench race but I am trying to decide on whether I should stick with nitrous or if I should consider sticking to my original plan of a blower. The engine in question will be a 93 Mrk8 engine with 60k. Down time/cost will be somewhat of an issue so I dont know if I should try to figure away to do forged internals or remain stock.

My question is will I put down more power with a 150 shot on a stock internal engine or with a vortech pushing 8lbs. Either way would be with a good tune.

If I go forged than I may want to run a Novi and aim for over 500rwhp...but that might be extreme for a daily driver.....MIGHT

Na, my buddy runs 450 rwhp as a dd, thats not so bad ;) Id go with forged internals, theres more you can do once you solve that problem. Then you can run more boost or a higher shot without worry'n so much. JMO

Time will be one of the bigger issues since I convinved my brother to use his garage and he plans on pulling and rebuilding the 400 in his 79 T/A this winter. Also have never built a mod motor before (built a few pushrods with success) so I will be sure to take my time.

Also forgot to mention that the mods I should be able to do will of course be a tune but I want to do LT's and already have a great exhaust setup (full custom from collectors back), I'll just have to 86 the cats on right after the manifolds because of *cough* clearence. Debating if the cobra manifold will be a good mod if I stay on the bottle.

Screw-Rice said:
Time will be one of the bigger issues since I convinved my brother to use his garage and he plans on pulling and rebuilding the 400 in his 79 T/A this winter. Also have never built a mod motor before (built a few pushrods with success) so I will be sure to take my time.

Also forgot to mention that the mods I should be able to do will of course be a tune but I want to do LT's and already have a great exhaust setup (full custom from collectors back), I'll just have to 86 the cats on right after the manifolds because of *cough* clearence. Debating if the cobra manifold will be a good mod if I stay on the bottle.

A cobra manifold will definently be a benefit while spraying. Port out the lower intake manifold and shorten the intake runners for increased airflow to benefit the flow of the nitrous. There will be some awesome flow and definently some power picked up from midrange - top end.

Screw-Rice said:
Time will be one of the bigger issues since I convinved my brother to use his garage and he plans on pulling and rebuilding the 400 in his 79 T/A this winter. QUOTE]

you mean the OLDSMOBILE 403? right?

Screw-Rice said:

To answer your question stick with your Nitro until you have built the motor. You will make more power for cheaper that way...

Once you built the motor and have the Novi... Well the sky is your limit (or should I say the Teksid Block cracking gods)

Good luck!:drunk:

Pending what I have to spend cash wise, I may remain on the bottle for the new engine. Then gather a good forged setup and do a full teardown next year and aim for an insane number. If I can gather the parts before the swap then I will do it, but otherwise I will do the forged setup next year. Got a 5 speed tranny I need to build to spec as well so maybe do both at once. Means I will be pulling the engine twice in about a year or so, but what fun is a project if you can gut it from time to time?

Would like to hit 13's or better up here (a mile above sea level) with some DR's, the new engine on a 150 shot, LT's, cobra manifold, and a good tune. This is also in a T-Bird so I am pushing a little less then you Mark guys....still love the Marks though.

one thing to remember about a blower or turbo for that matter, is that they are always "on". NoS is on only when you use it. therfore putting less strain on your mill. that's why I prefer NoS.

MrWilson said:
Screw-Rice said:
Time will be one of the bigger issues since I convinved my brother to use his garage and he plans on pulling and rebuilding the 400 in his 79 T/A this winter. QUOTE]

you mean the OLDSMOBILE 403? right?

Uhmmm....not necessarily. If it was an automatic, it came with the 403. If it was a stick, it came with the Poncho 400. GM never put the 403 behind a stick. As a matter of fact, they didn't even machine the crank for a pilot bearing.

2001LS8Sport said:
MrWilson said:
Uhmmm....not necessarily. If it was an automatic, it came with the 403. If it was a stick, it came with the Poncho 400. GM never put the 403 behind a stick. As a matter of fact, they didn't even machine the crank for a pilot bearing.

It's a pontiac 400 big block in it, with a mild cam. Some point in it's life it got an engine/tranny swap. ;) Never was a fan of the 403's, prefer the 400's by far. Buddy has a 403 77 T/A and that is a 17 second car if I have ever seen one...expensive to boot.

JC, I too am a fan of nitrous (have been shooting a zex 125 for a few years), and like it being there only when I need it....well for the most part. A remote bottle opener will fix that. :D

Members online

Back