Blower fan issues.

SATURN5

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
Occasionally my blower fan won't kick on. Now if I thump the dash to the right of the information center, it will start working. Sometimes for good, other times it will stop, and start by itself.

Just wondering where to start with..

The speed module? or I'm leaning that the brushes/commutator is worn on the motor..

Thoughts...

Connector @ blower motor. They can be picky, either from water entering the cowl or just a worn connector. Drop the glovebox, reach up there and fiddle with it. I've heard of people "tightening" up the pins to fix it as well.

I'd check the plug at the blower motor itself, first. It might show signs of being burnt. If it's not burnt, tweak the control module and see if the blower stays on. Either way, I would also check amp draw on blower motor wire. It shouldn't be more than about 12.5 amps on high.

I just took a look behind the box.

Guess what I found... Hrm.... :shifty:

Someone apparently attempted a fix. The orange and black wires are.. JBwelded to the damn motor. :eek:

However wiggling them made it work, it looks like they were loose at the speed module. Shoved them back into the module and it's currently working.

But, I think I'm going to put a blower motor and harness on my list of things that need attention... Thanks guys.

I just took a look behind the box.

Guess what I found... Hrm.... :shifty:

Someone apparently attempted a fix. The orange and black wires are.. JBwelded to the damn motor. :eek:

However wiggling them made it work, it looks like they were loose at the speed module. Shoved them back into the module and it's currently working.

But, I think I'm going to put a blower motor and harness on my list of things that need attention... Thanks guys.

facepalm.jpg

Glad you found out the problem though.

My car has the same problem right now. The wires going to the blower motor under the dash have a bad connection. Right now I've been driving with the cover under the glove box off, so I can giggle the wires when the blower motor decides to shut off. I've got to fix this the right way soon.

Here's the link I found on the problem. I guess it's somewhat common. You'll see from the link, my blower motor went off when I was in Florida and it was 95-degrees with 90% humidity. :( Got it working again because of this post though.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=83343&highlight=florida

Anyone ever put a stronger motor in the blower? Mine blows ..I just with it was more windy

Yup mine had the same issue for the longest time, burnt wire though. Took 5 minutes to take it off the junk car and another 5 to install. Easiest fix with the biggest payout yet! However, this might be a notch above irritating.

Members online

No members online now.
Back