Blew up my Eldorado!

hottweelz

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's a 1997 Cherry Pearl Red Eldo. I know I'm not on this site enough, but those of you who know me, know I keep my cars as pristine as possible. This red, is RED... I'm sure you know.

My question is, "What Do I Do?

The Northstar runs, but I blew the heads, and water is in the block as well as the fact that the heads are gone.

The Transmission is perfect, the Leather is perfect, the body is mint, it does need a passenger mirror though.

I just put $3000 dollars into it, tune up, dual mufflers, brakes, plus, due to the overheating problem it had, radiator, oil cooler, hoses, coolant tank, radiator cap.

I'm due to pay off the loan on the car in a month or two.

Should I just ebay this car worth it's weight in parts?

Can I get $2k-3k for it with a blown motor?

Mechanic wants $4k for a used Northstar installed, $8k for a new one installed.

As many of you know, I'm in a wheelchair so my driving life revolves around 2 Door Coupes, (hence the Original Mark VIII when I joined) so I need to remove my Hand Controls ASAP and get them in another car.

value of the car is prob only like 6k minus 4k for the repair youll get 2k at value but i doubt youll see that....
in my opinion id part it, youd make the most money that way. what color is the interior of the car? how many miles? ETC or base? and just askin how did you BLOW it up, ive herd of head gaskets blowing but how did you do that much damage?

Its been a long term issue. I work in manhattan and live near the hamptons. I have a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, tank, and cap. 3 weeks old. On tuesday night in the rain it overheated again. This time it went into "limp home" mode. So I kept going with mindset "F it, I'm not getting stuck on the LIE in the rain,". So I tested the 4 cylinder mode for everyone... Guess what? Lol.

Sorry. That beige/gray leather. I'm on my way now to take pics. Maybe if I ebay it with a reasonable reserve. Its a decent downpayment to another car and ill pay off the loan with my company bonus

Its the base model but has the moonroof and everything. I looked at an etc in the past and I think the only difference is the horsepower and stuff. 1500 would get me a good downpayment on a another car. Being in a wheelchair I can't really take the train to manhattan. My blue caddy, in my gallery is in need of a tranny (lol). It has 285k on it. Nyc to long island everyday is 40k per year

damn if it was read i woulda given you quite a bit of alot of the interior and you could part the rest. to be honest i doubt youd see more than a grand for her off ebay. new heads, head gaskets, and assuming the block has no damage it would still need rebuilt. then the fact the cradle must be droped on the N* to replace it, its a VERY expensive labor cost for replacement. honest your best off parting it and if you do i still could use a few things...
does it have the 12 disc changer? and would you part it?

Its got the factory 10 disc changer and bose. But my pioneer system is in it with the sirius and ipod integration. (Keeping it) with the two tens and amps.

did you keep the bose speaks and amps? did you buy the 100 dollar adapter to keep the bose?
im interested in buying your factory cd changer if it was the one controled by the hu itself. i also need the sunroof motor if its the factiory sunroof not a dealer or aftermarket deal

Yes I bought the metra non-onstar module for the factory wiring harness. The changer is still in the trunk but it can only be controlled by the factory radio. I also bought the steering wheel adapter for the pioneer but never got it to work

i have the factory system in there now i am not sure which way i will go. i dont have onstar, is your harness the gmos-03 or the gmos-06? the 06 kept the factory bose amps and connects to the hu through the rcas.

what about the sunroof motor willin to sell it and the disc change if so how much?

how much for the changer yuh i want it i need the brackets for it too plz and obviously the cartrage
pics?

oh and two things...
one id def get the title if i were you if you do i know id bid without it tho no...
two you have the 275 hp N* not the 300

hottweelz said:
Its the base model but has the moonroof and everything. I looked at an etc in the past and I think the only difference is the horsepower and stuff. 1500 would get me a good downpayment on a another car. Being in a wheelchair I can't really take the train to manhattan. My blue caddy, in my gallery is in need of a tranny (lol). It has 285k on it. Nyc to long island everyday is 40k per year

Is the horsepower really different between the ESC and the ETC? I just compared the technical specs of both on autotrader.com, and the ESC lists 275 hp at 5600 rpm whereas the ETC has 300 hp at 6000 rpm. Since it is acutally the same engine (both have DOHC) I would imagine that at 6000 rpm, the ESC would also have 300 horses.

Can anybody shed any light on this? I thought the only difference between the ESC and the ETC were in the ride comfort / suspension?

eldo99er said:
Is the horsepower really different between the ESC and the ETC? I just compared the technical specs of both on autotrader.com, and the ESC lists 275 hp at 5600 rpm whereas the ETC has 300 hp at 6000 rpm. Since it is acutally the same engine (both have DOHC) I would imagine that at 6000 rpm, the ESC would also have 300 horses.

Can anybody shed any light on this? I thought the only difference between the ESC and the ETC were in the ride comfort / suspension?

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME ENGINE!
The l37 (300 hp n*) has bigger pistons different cams and a diff computer setting.

Well with my exhaust it's over 300 ;)

I'll get you pics of the changer.

I'm getting crazy msgs from Ebayers telling me NOT to sell the car LOL... that's a first.

hottweelz said:
Well with my exhaust it's over 300 ;)

I'll get you pics of the changer.

I'm getting crazy msgs from Ebayers telling me NOT to sell the car LOL... that's a first.

So is that a good thing or a bad thing:confused: .

Make me an offer, I'll pull it out this weekend. Do you need the harness in it too? Any idea how far back it goes?

nope im prewired the dealer removed my changer before i bought for someone else and never replaced it

ebay they run about 30-50 bucks pending on if you catch them when theres alot listed or a few.

id like the bracket along with the changer...

how much would you like?

Members online

Back