"Blacking out" my car...

jdlmkviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of what I should use to paint the chrome on my car black? I'm interested in painting the grille, the "eyebrows" above the headlights and taillights, and getting rid of that beltline.... and later tint the windows.... I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what kind of paint or whatever to use, and would I just put it on with a brush or what?

:feed

jdlmkviii said:
Does anyone know of what I should use to paint the chrome on my car black? I'm interested in painting the grille, the "eyebrows" above the headlights and taillights, and getting rid of that beltline.... and later tint the windows.... I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of what kind of paint or whatever to use, and would I just put it on with a brush or what?

:feed

Use Bulldog adhiesive promoter, let dry, then use a good quality paint, or do all the prep work and just let a shop spray it.

Make sure to use the Bulldog or the paint will chip within a year.

Joeychgo said:
should flaking tape be removed or sanded first geno?

Good point Joey.

You have to do "something" with the beltline trim because it has a plastic clear coat over it.

You can painstakingly remove it or just rough it up and pint over it.

I thought it was good myself.... LOL

Tell me this, there are tape products out there - chrome and colors - can you just stick over or do you have to rough it up also?

Second --- how do you rough it up? Sandpaper I assume, but whats the best way to keep from damaging the paint nearby?

ONEBADMK8 said:
Good point Joey.

You have to do "something" with the beltline trim because it has a plastic clear coat over it.

You can painstakingly remove it or just rough it up and pint over it.

Joeychgo said:
I thought it was good myself.... LOL

Tell me this, there are tape products out there - chrome and colors - can you just stick over or do you have to rough it up also?

Second --- how do you rough it up? Sandpaper I assume, but whats the best way to keep from damaging the paint nearby?

I just got rid of the beltline around the car yesterday, temporarily. I used electrical tape all the way around... it was a little challenge to do it all without getting air bubbles in the tape, but I got the technique down after a little bit. So far, the tape has been holding on really well.

Here's a pic:

vbgarage.php

I just took this the other day right after I washed it, I also took a few more pics so check out My Garage to see a few more...

Also, there is black paint under the chrome to match the rest of the car, right? Just an idea- Would there be some way I could just remove the chrome instead of painting over it? Don't know how to go about doing that or how it would turn out.... but just a thought.

Members online

No members online now.
Back