Best quality sport struts?

SoulSoak

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I talked my wife into letting me get my new suspension. I wasn't able to talk her into Stance coilovers though lol.

I just ordered my Eibach pro's this morning, but have not yet ordered my new struts.

I've done the research and it appears everyone prefers the Motorcraft struts over any other. However when I search for them I find a variety of mixed struts/shocks and I don't know what to get.

If someone gets the time(hopefully sooner rather than later), could you please provide me with a link and/or the part numbers for the Motorcraft struts I need? I want the firmest and or sportiest ones. Fronts and rears.

Well I'm heading into work, thanks everyone and God bless.

I got the used sport struts that came off my 2006. Although I imagine you want new :)

This is where I'm confused. What is the difference between a "strut" and a "shock absorber"?

From research I find that Motorcraft is the OEM replacement for my suspension, and nothing quite compares. However I see aftermarket brands like "KYB" and "Monroe" that make "Struts" for the Lincoln LS. However when I search "Motorcraft", all I see are "Shock Absorbers".

My main concern is that whatever I buy NEEDS TO BE COMPATIBLE with my Eibach Pro Kit springs. I would prefer Motorcraft due to everyones recommendations. I found this part number for what I assume is the suspension unit I need. "#ASH24480" (Motorcraft front shock absorber)

So what is the difference between a strut and a shock absorber.. if any? And will that part I mentioned be compatible with the springs I ordered?

If anyone just wants to link me or tell me what Motorcraft part number/numbers I need for my front struts/shock aborbers that will be compatible with my Eibach springs that would be awesome. Anyhow thanks guys !!

Correct part numbers for GEN I LS V8 "Sport" Shocks:

Front: Motorcraft 1W4Z-18124-DA, AST25
Rear: Motorcraft XW4Z-18125-BA, AT704G

~ at least that's what I have noted.

1st GEN - more reference: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?75786-Replacing-Shocks

People should reference the ASH# since you have to dig for the cross reference ... If I did my homework correctly ...

'00-'02 V8 Front "Special" (Sport) Shocks: ASH24464 or BU2Z-18V124-R or 1W4Z-18124-DA or AST25*
'00-'02 V8 Rear "Special" (Sport) Shocks: ASH24468 or BU2Z 18V125 U or XW4Z-18125-BA or AT704G**

'00-'02 V8 Front "Performance" (Euro) Shocks: Inactive; no longer made
'00-'02 V8 Rear "Performance" (Euro) Shocks: ASHV862 or 5U2Z-18V125-VA

*Color code green matches on the last part number, but Tasca can't verify fitment on my vehicle. Price is cheaper.
**No color code in description or fitment on vehicle shown on Tasca. Price is cheaper

Correct part numbers for GEN I LS V8 "Sport" Shocks:

Front: Motorcraft 1W4Z-18124-DA, AST25
Rear: Motorcraft XW4Z-18125-BA, AT704G

~ at least that's what I have noted.

1st GEN - more reference: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?75786-Replacing-Shocks

Thank you for the reply BigRig. This is going to sound stupid, but I don't know what gen my LS is and or what distinguishes each gen. They made a 2000, then a 2001-2002, then 2003-2005, then finally the 2006. Is that 4 gens..? I don't know.

I have a 2003 LS8 sport. Will the Motorcraft part numbers you provided me with fit my car? Thanks

Just look up the part numbers for the 06's shocks on ford parts giant.

Gen 1 = 00 > 02
Gen 2 = 03 > 06

The 06 has a greater wheelbase length than any other year released.

Interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_LS (lots of details)

You may very well need different p/n for your second GEN LS

Gen 1 = 00 > 02
Gen 2 = 03 > 06

The 06 has a longer wheelbase than any other year released.

Interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_LS (lots of details)

You may very well need different p/n for your second GEN LS

Thanks for all the quick replies, ahh so that's the different gens.

One quick thing, all Lincoln LS's use shocks from the factory whether sport or non-sport.. as opposed to struts, correct? Thanks again!! The sooner I figure out what to order, the sooner I get to drop my LS, hah excited :)

... or what distinguishes each gen.

Quickest way is to spot the windshield spray nozzles placed on the hood of the First Gen's.
after that is all trim visually. The rear surround on the second GEN changed. (Upside down)
Trunk and rear Lamps changed on the second gens. Of course there's more subtle changes.

Do '06 sport shocks bolt directly up to a '03? If they do I might just buy "Kumba"s

I have some lightly used boxers and socks, would you even begin to have an interest in those as well ?

C'mon!

All I need is someone to say "Those will work" and I'm ordering them nnNNNOWWWW!!!! :)

Soul, I'm not going to be the one that says that. I'm not familiar with second Gen P#'s

GL

Greater wheelbase? I don't think so.

Then you didn't click that link and Fn read my friend!

----EDIT: but you're right, let's not believe everything we read on a website somewhere.

Correction:

Length:

2000–2005: 193.9 in (4,925 mm)
2006: 194.3 in (4,935 mm)

Overall vehicle length, the word Wheelbase was directly above it.

You win, you're sword is bigger than mine, can we get out of the bushes now ?

Correction:

Length:

Your swords are cool and all but I got an RPG that's about to blow up every dropped Lincoln LS that crosses my path until I get mine dumped too lol

Soul, don't forget to compare prices from http://www.amazon.com/

Rockauto is fair but amazon can be amazing.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Tasca-OEM-Parts

Tasca will give you good prices as well, if you phone them they can sometimes offer better pricing than their websites.

Thanks Rig, I'll be on this first thing tomorow morning. Only issue I have at the moment is finding out the part number I need for the front Motorcraft shock absorbers (sport). Once I know the part I need, then I can shop :)

Correction:

Length:

??????????????????

ALL LSes have the same wheelbase AND overall length. Other than a few cosmetic differences ALL LSes are dimensionally identical.

The LS uses shocks. A strut is part of the steering geometry while a shock is not. The LS uses a coil-over or shock/spring assembly.

??????????????????

ALL LSes have the same wheelbase AND overall length. Other than a few cosmetic differences ALL LSes are dimensionally identical.

was just reading out loud and even at that I missed Wheelbase vs. Length.

Members online

No members online now.
Back