Battery Drain?

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone long time since I've posted on here I know. But the car has been running great for a long time now and is nearing 115000 miles with little to no problems. But I wanted to ask everyone and see if they have had problems with their battery running low. I know when i bought the car 4 years ago it had the original motorcraft battery and was five years old I believe at that time. So I had the dealership put in a new Motorcraft battery in Dec. of 06 i believe. Now I have driven the car probably 4000 miles since the new battery, not very much cause I usually don't drive it during the winter. But took it to the shop to have the ol' dreaded Rear Bearings replaced.. ((THANKS Bill from Team Ford)) Saved me a lot of dough by the way..lol. Well anyway they told me the battery was no good and would have to replace it .. Told em I just spent 130 bucks for it 12 months ago. Then they said there might be something draining it while it is sitting in the garage I guess. Has anyone had problems with the battery being dead and no good after sitting in the garage for awhile even a week or 2?? I know long post.. lol

When we purchased our '03 LS new the only problem we had was the Viper alarm draining the battery if the car wasn't driven for 10 days or sooner. Most lights are on timers but someone can turn on the inside lights with the dimmer rheostat and that will drain the battery. To preserve your battery during times of non use you might consider a "Battery Minder".
http://www.thebatteryminder.com
and Go Huskers!

Lead acid batteries will drain naturally even if they aren't connected to anything. They also tend to have a charge "memory". A lot of times when a car is rarely driven the battery will drain slightly between drives. After a few months of this the battery will no longer hold a full charge above the voltage/amperage that it gets used to while sitting. This eventually leads to dead cells in the battery, which starts a cascade effect that drains the other cells in the battery faster and makes it harder for them to accept a charge from a charger, or the alternator when the engine is running.

I see it all the time working for a car dealership. We've replaced batteries in cars that are less than 3 months old just due to them not being driven.

Members online

No members online now.
Back