'Barney Mobile' track times :)

1wykdmk8

LvC Dues Collector
Reaction score
Here are the scanned/editted pix of the time sheets.........I know, I know.....I could do better.....but read this thread and you will get the jist of the whole thing.....here are the slips:

barneydrag0.jpg

barneydrag01.jpg
:Beer

you know, btw, you can upload these to the timeslips section

1wykdmk8 said:
Here are the scanned/editted pix of the time sheets.........I know, I know.....I could do better.....but read this thread and you will get the jist of the whole thing.....here are the slips:

barneydrag0.jpg

barneydrag01.jpg
:Beer

I'm not sure the slips are right anyways...

the date is wrong. :p

Back to the Future maybe? :)

Pittsburgh Raceway? How far from Morgantown, WV? Do they have Test & Tune dates on weekends? :steering

Well....after a few years of conversing over the Lincoln's boards, I finally met the infamous JP....aka driller. What a nice guy, he drove all the way up from Morgantown, WV to the Pittsburgh Raceway Park. I missed his first run down the track, but said that he clocked in at 15.2 (not sure of the exact time....but something like that). We milled over his, and my car, and went over a few things that he has done, and what I have done (not only to the 'Barney Mobile', but also to the AssassinVIIIor). Other than the gears, and driveshaft, we have basically the same upgrades as each other (his car and the AssassinVIIIor). But, I have not had the AssassinVIIIor down the track since I put in the chip and the fuel pump/regulator.

His second run down the track (with a lil info on my part....yeah yeah....pattin myself on the back!!!....LOL) he ran a 14.54 (I think.....maybe he will chime in and dispense the actual times he ran). All I told him was to start off in low 1 and shift manually.....and his times should improve....well....looks like they did :D

Now.....onto my times.....remember the 15.507 I ran last week....well I ran 15.270 this week, and all I did was change the plugs/wires out in my car. Now, before you think that it is totally possible to gain almost .3 seconds by just doing so (IF you have plugs/wires) you have to know that the plugs/ wires on my car (the 'Barney Mobile' that is) had been in there for a LOOOOONG time. They had been in there for so long that the smallest gap on the plugs was over .65 (and they are supposed to be at like .48-.54.....depending on who you talk to).....and the highest gap was close to .80.....so you can imagine how it was easy to gain better performance from the plugs that I had in, to the ones I replaced them with. Now, I also went with the Lightning spark plugs (part number AWSFA-12C....which are 2 steps colder than the stock 32C's). I also went with the FRP 9MM wires (basically because I do not like the red wires that are only offered by MSD). Then, I modified the stock intake runner to remove the 'lungs'. So, with all that done, and the well used plugs/wires, you can see why the increase (or decrease actually) in times from last week to this week are from. Of course...I need to quit pickin my nose at the lights...... :Bang

Here is the timeslip:

barneydrag2.jpg

I don't agree with you 100% here Ray...

If you look at your 60' times, you ran .063 quicker right out of the gate, this probably translates into a tenth of a second or so by the time you hit the other end. It is definitely worth AT LEAST .063 seconds. Now take into consideration the better track conditions of your second visit and you're probably looking at another tenth. So that leaves about a tenth or so of actual improvement.

All other things being equal, if you check out this link and plug in the values, you did seem to have better conditions on your second visit. At 0 altitude the air density comes out to 1.09 vs 1.13 for your first and second visits respectively.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Run some 2.1s and get some good conditions and you'll be in the 14s no problem.

Kale

djKale said:
I don't agree with you 100% here Ray...

If you look at your 60' times, you ran .063 quicker right out of the gate, this probably translates into a tenth of a second or so by the time you hit the other end. It is definitely worth AT LEAST .063 seconds. Now take into consideration the better track conditions of your second visit and you're probably looking at another tenth. So that leaves about a tenth or so of actual improvement.

All other things being equal, if you check out this link and plug in the values, you did seem to have better conditions on your second visit. At 0 altitude the air density comes out to 1.09 vs 1.13 for your first and second visits respectively.

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Run some 2.1s and get some good conditions and you'll be in the 14s no problem.

Kale

Kale, that's a GREAT link. Confirms my calc of about 4000 feet density altitude... which I think is high?

Ray, with a gap of 0.065 to 0.080 on the old plugs, I'd say you picked up some there with the new freshly gapped 12Cs. BTW, I didn't have enough gonads to manually shift - so my times are all with the shifter left in 'D'.

"Of course...I need to quit pickin my nose at the lights......"

Oh, is that what I was doing wrong!? :eek:

driller said:
Kale, that's a GREAT link. Confirms my calc of about 4000 feet density altitude... which I think is high?

Ray, with a gap of 0.065 to 0.080 on the old plugs, I'd say you picked up some there with the new freshly gapped 12Cs. BTW, I didn't have enough gonads to manually shift - so my times are all with the shifter left in 'D'.

"Of course...I need to quit pickin my nose at the lights......"

Oh, is that what I was doing wrong!? :eek:

Okay, I just did my plugs and the local dealer told me that AWSF12C was not a valid part number. I got the 22Cs instead and the car feels like a dog for some reason (could be the weather). So I look at my old plugs and the part number is AWSFA12C. Hopefully my local guy can get em, but if not I know I can get them from Dennis.

Did you run into the same problem when odering your plugs Ray?

Kale

djKale said:
Okay, I just did my plugs and the local dealer told me that AWSF12C was not a valid part number. I got the 22Cs instead and the car feels like a dog for some reason (could be the weather). So I look at my old plugs and the part number is AWSFA12C. Hopefully my local guy can get em, but if not I know I can get them from Dennis.

Did you run into the same problem when odering your plugs Ray?

Kale

No Kale, if you look in my post from the other day about the change in plugs, I mentioned that they were AWSFA-12C's. I ordered them from Max @ 5 Star (1-800-866-1520 x236) he knew EXACTLY what it was that I wanted. But I did try to get one at a local dealer, and they said that the part number that I had was incorrect.......??? Max sent them to me next day....did I mention that Max IS DA MAN!?!?!?!?!?

Because he is......he has never steered me wrong, and has done a few 'favors' for me with the parts that I have ordered from him.....not to mention that he knows me now by my voice......do you think I am calling for parts TOO often if he knows my voice?

I would call him Kale and get them from him.....I got the plugs from him for like $1.56 each....Advance Auto wanted $1.78 for Autolite plugs.......pretty good savings....and Ford wanted like $3.59 for each plug at the dealership......give him a call...he has what you need.

I took your advice even though the Ford dealer did actually call me back. The guy said the plugs were somthing like $3 each so I figured it was a worthwhile savings to give Max a call. Sure enough, they were still $1.56 each. Total was under $13, not sure what shipping will cost, but I should still come out way ahead.

Kale

Those times kinda suck ray. I think you need some ported heads...

Members online

Back