Band adjustment

fabrizio

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I wish to know what do I need to do a band adjustment ?
2001 LS V8

Any special tool ?

-Could it be done with the transmission on?

I'll do the tranny adjustment to check if the band it's broken , if not then I'll check the OD/I servos.

*I have jack stand/torque wrench and the 5R55n manual.(my alldata account has expired >_<)

Code:
Adjust the overdrive band by turning adjusting screw in while holding the lock nut. Torque the adjusting 
screw to 14 Nm (10 ft.lb.) and then back out exactly two (2) full turns. Referto Figure 171.

65. Adjust intermediate band by turning adjusting screw in while holding the lock nut. Torque the adjusting 
screw to 14 Nm (10 ft.lb.) and then back out exactly two (2) full turns. Refer
to Figure 171.

Best regards!

So I lift the car to try a band adjustment and check if the band was ok or at least stay there :(

I can access to one screw , when I touch it i discover that it was loose :confused: i can move the screw and nut just with hand and zero force, i was in shock ,so no doubt i have to drop the tranny.
wait ...

There Are more , another cheap fix . What part is it? e-brake retainer?

best regards!

--loose overdrive adjustment screw , both spins,nut and screw , just moving with hand.

[video=youtube;_iggGd-AStA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iggGd-AStA[/video]

damm i Dunno why it's vertical >_<

[video]https://youtu.be/OWiir4g1wlk[/video]

band adjustment nut.JPG

band adjustment nut2.JPG

band screw.jpg

Last edited:

BTW, the lock nuts on the band adjustments are one-time use. You should get new ones, or you may have a leak or two when you are done.

Edit: Need better pictures... It looked like a toe-link at first, but I don't think so.

thanks Joegr!

There's a leak as you said.

------------------------------------------

I'm uploading a video.

best regards , ty for reply!

We drop the pan and found a valve body screw [emoji52] and a band adjusment strut (overdrive)
There's no chirps o metallic parts, looks good, the oil has good colour but never changed i believe.band strut.JPG

band strut.JPG

The wire tie was a kind of shift cable retainer, the plastic one was broke.

Hi!

I wish to know what do I need to do a band adjustment ?
2001 LS V8

Any special tool ?

-Could it be done with the transmission on?

I'll do the tranny adjustment to check if the band it's broken , if not then I'll check the OD/I servos.

*I have jack stand/torque wrench and the 5R55n manual.(my alldata account has expired >_<)

Code:
Adjust the overdrive band by turning adjusting screw in while holding the lock nut. Torque the adjusting 
screw to 14 Nm (10 ft.lb.) and then back out exactly two (2) full turns. Referto Figure 171.

65. Adjust intermediate band by turning adjusting screw in while holding the lock nut. Torque the adjusting 
screw to 14 Nm (10 ft.lb.) and then back out exactly two (2) full turns. Refer
to Figure 171.

Best regards!

I did the band adjustment but not 2 full turn , just 1.5 turn.
shifts great!:wrench

Thanks for posting this info. I'm sure it will help someone in the future

Members online

Back