Bad neon brakelight on a gen2 and "how much would you offer" questions

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I looked at a gen 2 on Thursday, considering picking it up if I can talk them down from the $4400 they want to something reasonable. It's a silver 97 base with a few problems like the front bags leak, the windshield is cracked, and it made a pretty decent oil cloud on startup but stopped smoking within a few seconds (seems like valvestem seals?)

Anyway the main issue is the neon brakelight. I brought my mother along and had her look, she says it didn't light up when I hit the brakes. It looks weird, as if there's a reflector and a lens but nothing in between (is the whole assembly just a neon filled bulb or what? The reflective surface on the back had some weird black spots on it, maybe as if water had entered somehow?

So gen 2 guys, what's the deal? If I picked this car up what would I have to repair/replace to get the light to work? What would you offer on a 97 base with the aforementioned problems and 117k mi? (I might drop by today when they're closed and snap a few pics.)

sounds like water got into the assy, last i heard is ford discontinued the assy thats ok cuz its upwards of $800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is a guy on the "other" markviii site known as "glitch" he makes replacement balast and bulbs for a reasonable price, someone will chime in with more info. with all the probs i think you should be able to get the price way down, just tell them how much it will cost to make it road worthy

Wouldn't you rather spend $800 more and get a '98 LSC with 105K miles and headlights and taillights that work? Of course, you'd have to pick it up in Staten Island.

I'm just sayin'...

So I guess moisture has gotten in there and killed the ballast?

The HIDs on this 97 work fine. jerryjfunk, meet me in Ohio and you have a deal :p Nah seriously I picked my ETC up from Hartford, CT, and I swore I'm NEVER going more than 2 states away for a car again. Of course I'd love a 98 LSC since 98 is the last year and has the one way clutch "fixed," but it's hard to find a nice looking gen 2 here. I decided I want a gen 2 or 96 LSC, and 96 LSCs are even harder to find, so this 97 base will suit me fine. The small performance improvements on an LSC don't matter if I'm going with gears/stall/spray. :cool:

I've got a guy who's going to carfax it for me since he has an account, carfax doesn't show everything but it doesn't hurt to run one anyway.

Anyway, here are some pics I just took if some of you want to tell me what you think I should offer. The chrome on the nose is messed up, the rest of it and the paint is in excellent shape though:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'd look around a little bit more if I was you. That's alot of problems. Or if you have a nice shop with cement floor, a lift, tools, and some mechanical knowledge you can harp him Waaaaaaaaay down on the price and fix it up. Otherwise that sounds like alot of money you gotta put into it. I think you have to pull the motor to get the heads off if it's a valve stem seal, actually i thought i read somewhere in order to just get the valve cover off you have to remove the motor. JMO.

I don't have a lift but I do have the capability of fixing just about any problem a car can throw at me. Last summer I separated and transferred my Eldorado's engine, trans, and everything else from a bent subframe to another one. I don't do glass, but I'm friends with the owner of a chain of glass shops so that's covered.

No way I'm paying 4400 for that car, but I don't really know how much I should offer. Probably nothing over 3k.

If you do get it you have to $hitcan that awful pinstripe. JMHO Good luck with the hunt.

I would not give 4400 for the car. I bought my 97 LSC for 4000 and it looks good, works good and runs real good.... new tires to boot.

should have bought mine a few months ago. It sold for $3000 and had working HID's, 107k miles, and was in alot better shape than that one. And was in So. Cal, not too far from NM

Yeah, there's no way I'll pay 4400 for it. Tomorrow if I can I'm going to offer somewhere in the mid 2000s and see where it goes from there.

Once again, the HIDs on this car are fine...

Members online

No members online now.
Back