Backup camera?

214rod

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get one for my unit but I'm not sure what kind to get. I've seen ones with the license plate mount & many others but I'm still not sure. I'm wondering what you guys here have but most importantly where did you mount it. I want it to look stock as much as possible. Any tips would be helpfull. Thanx.

+1. The license plate mount stands out. I want one too, but I was thinking about mounting in between the license plate lights.

I have the license plate one. Not the one you screw on your license plate but one that is built into a license plate. The license plate is black. And the camera across the top of the plate is thin so it doesn't stand out. You can't notice it unless you're looking for it. Back up can helps a lot when backing up at night cause of my super dark tint

+1. The license plate mount stands out. I want one too, but I was thinking about mounting in between the license plate lights.

I had thought about that too but wasn't too sure if I should go with a different set up that's easier to mount.

alax what brand camera do you have?

$160 that's a pretty penny for that camera...how's the quality on it?

You can get a much cheaper camera but it will require drilling a small hole.

$160 that's a pretty penny for that camera...how's the quality on it?

Pretty good, plus the wide angle viewing is great. I'm using it on my stock nav unit, so if you have an aftermarket one, you'll probably get a better picture.

You can get a much cheaper camera but it will require drilling a small hole.

Yeah there are cheapers ones, I actally got it from 125 by looking around online. I went with this one because you can't see it, it's slim and hidden in the plate frame. I thought it was a great buy.I thought about going with a plain camera to save money, the ones where you drill a hole to install, but it wouldn't look good IMO.

Alax I don't think I've ever seen your actual camera setup on the rear... Any photos?

not close up pics to get just the camera in view,here are some close ups of the rear. I'll get one up close tom.
Man my old were tips look tiny

Inventory007.jpg

023.jpg

mag9.jpg

Oh cool that is hardly noticeable! I am kind of wanting to do this when I get a new headunit.

Pretty good, plus the wide angle viewing is great. I'm using it on my stock nav unit, so if you have an aftermarket one, you'll probably get a better picture.

OK then......How did you wire it into the stock NAV screen? That looks very nice and would compliment the factory ERPA nicely.

It's not noticeable at all to me unless you know it's their & you are trying to look for it. I like it...looks good. How does it look at night? Do you have led's in your reverse lights if so does it glare the picture?

Looks good at night too. I think they sell some with night vision, but I dont need it. I acutally dont have led's in the reverse lights, it's the last ones I have to convert.

I bought a video interface to play movies with from my ipod. It came with 2 video inputs plus one for a back up camera. The video interface switches to the camera input when you put the car in reverse and I wired in the camera to get power from the reverse lights. I had to make a small hole on the rear surround to get the cable through and also buy longer screws for the top of the camera plate because they weren't long enough.

I'll get a video of it soon to show you guys. Oh and the wide angle needs some getting use to, if you've never seen a wide angle back up cam you'll see what I mean when I put the video up, but it's very useful when backing up when cars are blocking your sight.

Backup camera would be a sweet addition to my backup sensors as well.

If i get a new headunit i will do this.

That's a good combo. My parking assist module is out so my sensors don't really work right now but when I get a new one it should be a sweet set up

Indeed...whatever we can do to keep our cars as modern as possible.

we are already at a disadvantage with the basic design being close to 11 years old now.

Indeed...whatever we can do to keep our cars as modern as possible.

we are already at a disadvantage with the basic design being close to 11 years old now.

That's the beauty of a timeless design. The design still looks fresh 10 years later.

^Sure does...people are always surprised & make this funny look of being shocked when I tell them what year it is.

I need to screw in my license plate like that so it will stop rattling.

That is pretty sweet....can you have the backup cam working while driving?

You can wire it that way. Instead of the reverse being the switch for the back up cam input, you would run a switch. Why would you want to though?

Just for the hell of it...to see if someone gets too close behind me or something.

Members online

Back