Back in the day we got our engines 'Steam cleaned'

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Of course there was also a talking horse on TV in those days. So I'm wondering does anyone still clean their oily greasy engine this way or is there a better way now? I have an engine with just shy of 130K that has a couple oil leaks that I want to clean up real good , fix the leaks and then swap into my Getrag car. So what's the best way to clean it? Thanks

I am sure that Mr. Ed would have said to at least avoid the distributor cap. Same basic premise as it always has been, with the exception of the electronics that should be avoided. Engine degreasing can make a real mess, so I normally do it at the car wash if there is a lot of oil or other gunk. Works best when the engine is warm -- pick up a can of Gunk degreaser, spray the motor down, and then clean with the wand at the car wash.

Them little portable steam cleaners and spray nine on a cold motor with a light plain water rinse work well for me.

Followed with some Mother's back to black or simple fresh oil on a rag.

Some pop off parts get a light clear coat if needed.

Thanks for all the great replies. I now have the ideas I need to clean it all up.

I second the brake parts cleaner... along with compressed air. Brake clean evaporates. Less chance of shorting anything electrical, (like the coils),,, unlike when using water.

Of course there was also a talking horse on TV in those days. So I'm wondering does anyone still clean their oily greasy engine this way or is there a better way now? I have an engine with just shy of 130K that has a couple oil leaks that I want to clean up real good , fix the leaks and then swap into my Getrag car. So what's the best way to clean it? Thanks

I had the engine/engine bay cleaned at a local car wash. My experience with cleaner and a hose cost me 3 coils/plugs and a catalytic converter...

the ford body shop gave me a good spraying before having me pick up my car, cost them exactly the same.

For the record, you can spray water, as long as you really know where it is safe to do so, and where it is not safe to do so. If you are uncertain at all about it, don't do it.

I'm thinking I'll spray brake cleaner carefully around top and sides and front and back and aggressively up from the bottom. Then at car wash aim the soapy and rinse stream very carefully away from the cops on the top and sides and really blast it up from the bottom. Anything left can be cleaned up when I pull the engine and fix the leaks, assuming gaskets are still available. (They better be.) I'm not sure how this could damage the cats but I have a spare exhaust system so not real worried but if there's something I should know, Mike or anyone, I'm all ears.

Damage to the COPs or anything else that causes misfires will damage the cats.

I wouldn't be spraying a whole lot of cold water on a hot motor!

There was a talking horse on TV?

Got it on the COPS.
Got it on the cold water/hot motor. I'll have to let er cool down b4 I wash er down.
"A horse is a horse of course of course that is of course unless the horse is the famous Mr Ed." Are you really so age-challenged? :)

I really won't worry a lot about cold water on a hot engine. It rains a lot here, and we drive through some big puddles. There is no doubt that some of that cold puddle water splashes on the hot engine.

... the horse is the famous Mr Ed. :)

Sorry, my mistake, thought you guys were talking about Trump's one hour long BS speech the other day. Must have gotten the two mixed up.

I really won't worry a lot about cold water on a hot engine. It rains a lot here, and we drive through some big puddles. There is no doubt that some of that cold puddle water splashes on the hot engine.

Hmmmm, I was always cautioned about hosing down a hot engine with cold water. Could crack. Might be different from where you're at I suppose <shrugs>

Deleted.
There is another forum where RigsLS' drivel should be posted. I'm not gonna take his bait here.

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense.

Then at car wash aim the soapy and rinse stream very carefully away from the cops on the top and sides and really blast it up from the bottom.

Stay away from the alternator when blasting from underneath. Unless you are doing "hot laps" just before entering the car wash,,, cold water shouldn't hurt anything. However,,, IIRC most DIY car washes have a hot water option for a slight bit more coin. Which would help loosen and wash away any debris.

Also... true story. My F-150 has a cracked exhaust mainfold from driving through 3-4 feet snow drifts in the middle of one winter a few years back. So it is possible to do damage when changing temp of metal very suddenly.

if it were me, I would not spray it at a car wash... I'd only spray it in my driveway where it would have time to sit out in the sun until everything was dry.

it wouldn't take much water getting into somewhere it shouldn't to cause a lot of problems if driven right away (this goes triple for a V6...)

Be careful with brake cleaner... It will eat paint and plastics...

Another thought occurred to me - once the engine is cleaned up, will I have removed all the evidence needed to find the several oil leaks that seem to be plaguing this engine?

Another thought occurred to me - once the engine is cleaned up, will I have removed all the evidence needed to find the several oil leaks that seem to be plaguing this engine?

No. Cleaning it is what you need to do to find the leaks. After it's cleaned, drive around a little and check for fresh oil. Keep doing this till you see it. Generally, the highest and most forward place that you see it will be where the leak is.

Members online

No members online now.
Back