[B]Solenoid Installation Question - Gen 1, 5R55N Tranny[/B]

2002LSV8

LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 Lincoln LS V8

I'm installing a new solenoid.

Per my WorkShop Manual (dvd) it says to (in addition to removing the transmission fluid drain plug and draining fluid) "Remove the converter housing plug and remove the drain plug". This is the first time I heard of having to do this. I'm a little confused of why I would need to do this step. I just have to drop the pan to get to the solenoid.

Has anyone with a Gen 1 (5R55N tranny) changed out the solenoid and have to deal with the "converter cover & drain plug"?

Pics from Workshop Manual:

Remove the converter housing plug
Remove the converter housing plug.gif

Remove the drain plug
Remove the drain plug.gif

Remove the converter housing plug.gif

Remove the drain plug.gif

For the solenoid pack? All I did was drain the fluid, drop the pan and R&R the solenoid pack.

there is no need to drain the converter to drop the pan for the solenoid pack.

on a similar note, my 2000 V8 Sport doesn't even have a drain plug on the converter.

All my research says the same, just drop the pan. That's why I was confused, it didn't make any sense to do that step.

Thanks for your replies.....

Before dropping the pan be sure the bottom of the pan sit 100% level. (use a level)

EDIT: any chance you can do progress write up pics?

I have that noted - Must be level to get correct fill.

I'm going to be doing it in my garage with the car on jacks - Sure sounds easier to just bring it into a shop..lol. But I always do things the hard way, so why should this be any different.

I'll try to see if I can (Write up & Pics). Probably be doing the R&R sometime next month.

Members online

No members online now.
Back