[b]Another[/b] sway bar bushing split. 7 days old. Help me diag.

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
( I mean strut rod)
Taking it off now and I'll post up pictures of what it looks like on the inside but I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be the issue.

I replaced the sway bar bushing on the right side on tue. last week and the bushings on the left side on friday of last week. The bushings on the left (replaced friday) are the ones in the picture. (new from orielly).

I was at the shop to get it alligned when I noticed this (so I didn't align it immediately afterwards. Prob 15-20miles put on it in the week ). So I'm suspecting when I cranked the wheel all the way to lock it busted it... just a guess.

Ok, under the car I go.
2011-07-01122240.jpg

2011-07-01122246.jpg

2011-07-01122317.jpg

OK, the black one is the new one that came off the front left just now and I that I put on last friday. The blue on is the one I took off last tuesday off the front right.

2011-07-01123553.jpg

2011-07-01123653.jpg

I always do that. yea, sorry. Strut rod bushings.

So....... are you using the metal sleeve?

Buy some Ford ones, they are like $15 each, just make sure you get two front, two rear...

WOnt do him no good if he dont have the OEM sleeve. Hes been through Moogs and Autozone ones already so I bet he no longer has the OEM sleeves which are no where near the same as the aftermarket ones.

WOnt do him no good if he dont have the OEM sleeve. Hes been through Moogs and Autozone ones already so I bet he no longer has the OEM sleeves which are no where near the same as the aftermarket ones.
Y
Yea was just coming in to post this. Going to the junkbyard this weekend. Anyone have any for sale

Previous question stands. Did you use the metal sleeves the bushings came with?

I am going through the same problem as well, 3 weeks 4 sets. my final solution is to go ahead and go with the poly bushings that supercoupeperformance.com sells. i would have done this in the first place if i knew i had the time to wait, but for now it is off to the vautozone to get another set so i can make it through next week.. until these get shipped after the holiday weekend and I did use the sleve that was in both kits. wish i did not throw out the factory sleeve.

hey myco you are using the same struts I am with lowering springs. I wonder if this is why our cars are eating the fsrb like candy, what springs are you running? looks like HnR or eibach. are you putting the weight on the suspension before you are tightening everything down (aka preloading the suspension)?

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=606

Why is there some much problem with the strut rod bushing. This is the simplest thing to do. Tony I would not get these from the junkyard. It looks like the sleeve is not in there like Bill said which is eating up the inserts.
15510477_trs_shb1596k_pri_detl.jpg

This part can be purchased at every parts store and the dealer. They are not very expensive. By the way the bowl shaped washer are suppose to be facing outward. Meaning the bowl shape facing away from the bushing if you get my meaning.

I guarantee that it is in there.. mine is doing the same exact thing. i think it may have to do with the adjusted angle that the strutt rod has after lowering the car 2 inches. you just can not see it bc it slides back into the sub-frame once weight is pulling the strut rod...

orrr i am not installing it correctly on my car. it seemed like an easy install but i may be missing a crucial step. mine is only destroying the front 1/2 of the bushing

I remember reading in the Ford manual about cutting the sleeve to the right length, but off the top of my head can't remember the procedure to do it right...

I am going through the same problem as well, 3 weeks 4 sets. my final solution is to go ahead and go with the poly bushings that supercoupeperformance.com sells. i would have done this in the first place if i knew i had the time to wait, but for now it is off to the vautozone to get another set so i can make it through next week.. until these get shipped after the holiday weekend and I did use the sleve that was in both kits. wish i did not throw out the factory sleeve.

hey myco you are using the same struts I am with lowering springs. I wonder if this is why our cars are eating the fsrb like candy, what springs are you running? looks like HnR or eibach. are you putting the weight on the suspension before you are tightening everything down (aka preloading the suspension)?

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=606

What I did was took it to an alignment shop and had it aligned. It's a good shop but I watched them hammer the strut nut with a gun and I'm worried it's going to be torqued too much but we'll see. Also, when you put the metal cylinder on there make sure that crease is on the bottom side of the strut.

Yes, before I WAS NOT pre-loading the strut before I torqued it down. This last time I didn't torque it down much at all and went straight to the shop.

Not real sure about the type of springs I have. I bought them used. Because of this problem I'm actually thinking of putting regular springs back on.

Let me ask you a question. On your struts under your hood. How far down is the nut torqued?

It is all in the install procedure, the ferrell has to be cut (about 1/4") and the outer washers installed as to cup the bushing, Be careful not to over torque the nuts. With everything tighten correctly the ferrells should not touch the washers. Be sure to then get front end aligned. I only use Moog Problem solvers on my Mark Vlll's and have no problems.

Strut rod bushings... are those sometimes referred to as "radius arm bushings"?
Reason I ask is because I had my car checked out by a Lincoln mech, and he said the main two things that would need replacement before too long are the "radius arm bushings" and the UCAs.

EDIT: scratch that, just looked at the ticket and he wrote "FRONT radius arm bushings at LCA are worn." Doh.

It is all in the install procedure, the ferrell has to be cut (about 1/4") and the outer washers installed as to cup the bushing, Be careful not to over torque the nuts. With everything tighten correctly the ferrells should not touch the washers. Be sure to then get front end aligned. I only use Moog Problem solvers on my Mark Vlll's and have no problems.

So the moog replacement sleeve needs cut by 1/4". If so I'll get that done and get it re-aligned.

Note* need to do a search for strut rod install procedure.

Strut rod bushings... are those sometimes referred to as "radius arm bushings"?
Reason I ask is because I had my car checked out by a Lincoln mech, and he said the main two things that would need replacement before too long are the "radius arm bushings" and the UCAs.

EDIT: scratch that, just looked at the ticket and he wrote "FRONT radius arm bushings at LCA are worn." Doh.

still.. those bushing are on the strut rod.. just on the back-end where it attaches to the LCA.

Let me ask you a question. On your struts under your hood. How far down is the nut torqued?

all the way. if i am not mistaken, if you dont it will rattle all to hell.

004-1.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back