AVIC-Z1 Nav unit installed

2001LS8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got this Nav unit installed last weekend. I had to capture the VSS signal prior to the ECM, but other than that, it was a straight forward install that turned out very nice. But I do have a question. I wasn't able to find a place to capture the signal for when the car is put in reverse. Can anyone help me with that? According to my wiring diagrams, the reverse lights are multiplexed and turned on and off by the REM. They are constantly powered and the REM grounds them to turn them on and off. It uses a signal off the digital transmission gear indicator. I didn't get a chance to measure that signal, but it looks to me like it's a 5V reference signal and the Z1 wants to see 12V. Anyone know for sure or have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is to build my own reverse switch somehow.

I helped install the Nav system in my car, and what we did to get reverse to work on head unit was run the wire back to the rear back up lights, and hooked up a relay switch so when the car was put in reverse the head unit would go in reverse also.. I'm not sure really how important it is to have reverse wire hooked up.. but we did it that way.. You may find a easier way to do it, seems like a few people have found easier way to install these nowadays..lol. I install the eclipse nav head unit in about a a year and half ago, still works great.

I'm not sure either how important reverse indication is. You have to have it if you use a rear view camera...and the Z1 instructions say it wants it to tell when you're in reverse. Your idea of a relay is a good one. I may be able to make that work. These cars are wired such that the reverse lights have constant power to them. They are grounded through the REM module. The trans indicator sends a signal to the ECM...which sends the signal to the REM, and the lights are grounded and come on. It's a very good way to do it...but it sure makes our life hard when we need to do something like this.

are the display lights on the Z1 changeable? or are they always blue? because i know the new D3 you can change the color on the diplay... jus curious about this because i have been looking at the Z1 for awhile now, but the D3 has just caught my eye, especially for only $1000

LennDawg said:
are the display lights on the Z1 changeable? or are they always blue? because i know the new D3 you can change the color on the diplay... jus curious about this because i have been looking at the Z1 for awhile now, but the D3 has just caught my eye, especially for only $1000

You know, I don't have the answer for that! I've always left it as is. But you can sure change a lot of stuff on the thing.

The Z1 is hard drive driven. That really makes it nice. That's the main reason I went with it. I would recommend you look at the Pioneer website and download the manual before you buy. You will be amazed at all it can do. Oh yea...it's also VERY easy to bypass so you have full functionality when moving.

I thought for sure I'd be in the market for the D3..until I just recently saw the Z1 on the Pioneer site.

Regarding the bypass feature you speak of..is this the method you utilized?
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html

Any pics of your final install? Are you still able to utilize all of your steering wheel functions, and are all stock speakers still working? Any cons?

lseguy said:
I thought for sure I'd be in the market for the D3..until I just recently saw the Z1 on the Pioneer site.

Regarding the bypass feature you speak of..is this the method you utilized?
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html

Any pics of your final install? Are you still able to utilize all of your steering wheel functions, and are all stock speakers still working? Any cons?

That's where you need to get the bypass info. He goes by DucatiBoy on an AVIC site and he is extremely knowledgable.

I have an 01 LS8 Sport...so I don't have subwoofers from the factory. This car does have the console tweeters that utilize a seperate amp with a crossover built in. I didn't hook them up. However, I sure could have. The Z1 has a seperate wire to turn amps on and off and all I would have had to do is run the RCA's from the Z1 there. You could also add a subwoofer if you wanted. We didn't see the need. I used a PAC SWI-PS for the steering controls. They all work.

I can't find my picture of the final install...but it looks just like it came from the factory. I used one of the factory NAV bezels that I got from Team Ford and trimmed it to work...then painted flat black. Looks perfect.

Thanks for the info. I have a 2002 LS with the factory Alpine Audiophile system. So sounds like you currently are NOT using your factory center console speakers..correct?

I'm currently reading all I can on the Z1, and upcoming Avic-D3 due out in March. The price of the D3 is in my range...and I'm not certain that in reality, I will even use all of the features of the D3, much less the TON of features on the Z1.

My needs-Ability to play DVD movies on the head unit. (D2 apparently doesnt have this, but per the writeups, the D3 does have this feature).

-RCA Outputs for video. I have two headrest monitors that I would like to use the headunit for the video source.

-Ability to retain factory steering wheel control functionality. (Pac 1 appears to resolve this) and ALL factory speakers.

-Ability to plug in my Create Labs Mp3 player and use as external audio source...(not real concerned about the Pioneer recognizing it's contents, controlling it, etc).

I most likely will get the NavTraffic module, phone bluetooth module, and the XM subscription for NavTraffic.

So..based upon the above, the D3 appears to meet my needs. And it has (dont laugh) an important feature that I really, really like. A simple volume KNOB. Call me old school, but I REALLY like a volume knob.

That's correct...I'm not using the console tweeters. But if you want them, they are easy to hook up with the Z1. I'll bet it's the same with the D3. I would have needed some sort of adapter to run the outputs from the Z1 from RCA to the wire plugs that come factory. They make them...I just didn't have them. Then, I didn't want to add to the wiring I already had. We have several extras on the Z1 already...and believe me...room for wires is a precious commodity on the LS!! It's tight back there!

Oh yea...if you get the XM NavTraffic module (which is GREAT!!) you can mount it on top of the glove box. It fits perfectly there if you work with the positioning. Not only that, if you do it right, you will have access to the reset button by going through the access hole for the lid latch and won't have to undo a thing if you ever have to do a reset.

Thanks for the info.

Two additional questions:
I saw that you finally found the VSS wire somewhere near the PCM/ECM. Do you have any more specifics on this? Obviously I'll need to tap into this same wire.

Can you tell a significant difference in sound quality with those two tweeters disabled?

I can't tell a bit of difference without those two speakers. It may have something to do with the qualilty of the Z1. You can always go back and add them if you want them.

The VSS signal I used is the signal from the output shaft of the transmission. I captured that at the connector to the ECM. There is no place I could find under the dash that has that signal prior to the ECM...and you need to get it before the ECM as it's placed on the CAN buss afterwards and you need some sort of module, etc to pull it off the buss...which I don't believe exists for Ford products yet. I removed the cabin air filter assy and pulled the box up out of the way that it sits in. You have access to the ECM plugs there. I soldered and shrink wrapped a lead to the signal wire, placed it in vacuum hosing for extra insulation and protection, and drilled a small hole in the firewall to the inboard side of the ECM (be careful with your placement here) and ran it to the stereo. One the cabin air filter is back in, you can't see a thing. You can look at the wiring diagram for your particular model and see exactly what wire on what connector you need to tap. It's not that big a job actually.

By the way....if your Z1 has ever been in another car, be sure and do a hard reset to the Z1 before running it in your car. Otherwise, the navigation will go nuts due to the different speed of the VSS pulses. If it's new...you're good to go.

Thanks again.

I assume our wiring is the same..you have a 2001 V8 and I have a 2002 V8. Do you happen to recall which color wire you tapped into?

For the life of me, I can't find my print outs of my wiring harness. But I did find a note I wrote. It says I tapped into pin 26 at connector C175B at the ECM. White wire with a red stripe. But I would sure double check that if I were you since I don't have the connector drawing in front of me to confirm that. But I believe it's correct.

I'll double check it. But thanks for the tip to point me in the right starting point.

Members online

No members online now.
Back