Autolamp function

Kevin O'Connell

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Did a search for auto lamp function failure- nothing good found. Fuses are good. Could it be the sensor on the dash? What other components are involved the system? Troubleshooting advice?

What year Lincoln and I'll get you the wiring diagram. Here is my 1995 Mark VIII LSC AutoLamp wiring diagrams:

95Mark8AutoLamps1of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps2of3.jpg

95Mark8AutoLamps3of3.jpg

Hah, I've got the opposite problem. No matter how light and bright it is outside, even with the sun brightly shining it always turns my lights on as soon as I turn the autolamp feature on. Sensor's not covered with anything, cleaned the lens. No clue how this thing works but it doesn't bother me too much, I can turn the switch myself.

I would have thought if the senor's bum it would just default to turning itself on all the time as a safety precaution, but I don't know the wiring.

Hah, I've got the opposite problem. No matter how light and bright it is outside, even with the sun brightly shining it always turns my lights on as soon as I turn the autolamp feature on. Sensor's not covered with anything, cleaned the lens. No clue how this thing works but it doesn't bother me too much, I can turn the switch myself.

I would have thought if the senor's bum it would just default to turning itself on all the time as a safety precaution, but I don't know the wiring.

I have the same problem.

It's a 94-is it same as 95?

Should be, yes. Just disregard the 'with HID' stuff.....

I'm not going to name any names here but there was one person not long ago that didn't even know the auto lamp function could be turned off. I never use mine. I go into parking lights first, if I'm even out and when it's time, I turn on my switch for headlights. It's really not hard. It would have been nicer to have auto blinkers that knew which way we were turning but.... we have a switch to push one way or the other.

It's a 94-is it same as 95?

Just so you know, since you do have a 94, you might want to replace your headlight switch. They were updated in 95 to a better version. Most likely, your harness behind the switch is melted and you will see what I'm talking about if you take it out. I had a 94 and swapped my switch just in time. The main harness that it plugged into was kinda warped from melting over the years and the new switch barely plugged in because it wasn't warped like the harness it plugs into. I would surely look into updating the switch to a 95 or 96. As for the dimmer switch, it's possible that it too is being affected by this. Parts are brittle so be careful when removing. I bet you find a warped melted harness back there.

Just so you know, since you do have a 94, you might want to replace your headlight switch. They were updated in 95 to a better version. Most likely, your harness behind the switch is melted and you will see what I'm talking about if you take it out. I had a 94 and swapped my switch just in time. The main harness that it plugged into was kinda warped from melting over the years and the new switch barely plugged in because it wasn't warped like the harness it plugs into. I would surely look into updating the switch to a 95 or 96. As for the dimmer switch, it's possible that it too is being affected by this. Parts are brittle so be careful when removing. I bet you find a warped melted harness back there.

Well that's something to know. Can I get a part number and and info links on how to replace it, if that exists?

Well that's something to know. Can I get a part number and and info links on how to replace it, if that exists?

SW-5277

{#F8LB11654CA, F8LZ11654CA}
us.gif
ca.gif
Safety Recall 98S01 - Switch & Terminal

Simple to replace. Pull the headlight turn knob off and remove the cover and you'll see the small bolts in there to remove the switch. When you get the switch pulled out, it is connected to a harness on the back that is most likely warped and or melted in some way. Get the two separated and then you'll have to work on getting the new one to connect to the warped harness, if it is warped. I would check it first because it may have been changed already. My 94 wasn't and was all kinda bent out of shape from being hot and melting. Luckily a new switch plugged in.

I also have the same problem.
Auto lamp stays off now. I just turn the switch on and off as I please.

That's a good one Terry, I like that!....lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back