anyone know the answer?

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so my wife has lost a serious amount of weight over the last year, over 60 lbs, she is only 5 ' 3 and weighs 108lbs now, since she had such a drastic loss her wedding ring slipped off her hand one night in the shower and went right down the drain. there was no way i could get it, we dont have basements our houses down here are built on concrete slabs and i wasnt about to try to dig a tunnel under my house. this happened about 6 months ago. she was crying when it happened and i couldnt do anything about it. so now with christmas around the corner i am gonna get her a rock, she has no clue, but the problem is i have no clue what size her finger is, how the hell can i find out without asking her? or should i just take a guess and have them resize it if i need too, i have to get my ring resized anyway because of my weight loss too mine slides right off my finger. should i just guess, go by her shoe size maybe?? they claim whatever your shoe size is, usually that same number ring will fit your finger, is this true?

Does she have any other rings she wears? If so if it's one she puts on her ring finger, you can slide it on your finger so when you go in you can show the jeweler your finger. If its another finger, try the same thing to get a general idea.

From what I'm told, gold & silver are easy to resize 1 size up or down. Platinum and tungsten you need to be dead on.

Good luck and let us know how much she loves it!

Jamie, don't go by that shoe size sh!t lol. Wasn't it a Platinim ring that she dropped down the drain? I remember you telling me about it 10 min after it happened. She was upset. I know you were too.

I would just ease my way into the conversation and find out what size that one was and go about one size smaller or take her to a mall and go into a jewelry store and act like you're just playing around. I promise, the sales person will get the size for you. Works every time. Do it in a mall though, don't just go to a jewelry store out of the blue. You don't have long so this weekend, I'd get on it.

Do not say a word to her.
Dam women figure this crap out way too easy.
Compare you finger to hers when you hold hands.
Look at them like the were drills and take a dam good guess what size it is.

Tell the jeweler how much smaller her finger is when you buy the ring.
If you don't take the tag off the ring ...any jeweler will take it back for a different ring or a different size. ASK THEM BEFORE YOU BUY.

Have fun man.....do it right... romantic and all that silly crap.

Do not ask me how I know this....I will deny it all.

Last edited:
Go to the jeweler of your choice and explain the situation just as you did here. Two bits says he'll either tell you that it'll be sized at no charge, or that an exchange for a correct size will be offered.

GOOD FOR YOU!! 'Romantic' is worth the effort!

KS

Stores up here let you buy the rock put it in a temporary band (that you put a deposit on) then you return with her after and she picks out the band

i was looking last night at her ring finger its about the size of my pinky, she doesnt wear any other rings so i can grab one of them. her hands are tiny. i dont want her knowing anything about it, she hasnt got a clue i told her we would start looking when we get our tax refund this year, but i said that like 4 months ago, so she wont have a clue i am doing this, and i dont want her to, we dont buy each other christmas gifts, but i have to do this, she is my wife, i love her to death and i know how much it upset her to lose the old ring, so its the best idea i can come up with for a gift. yes terry the old ring was a plain platinum band, mine is the same, but this ring i get for her is going to be a nice one, with a small rock, i cant afford much so!!! she will be floored though.

Best deal I found was at Macy's, its Christmas Jamie you will be surprised at the prices right now.

Sounds like you have a great plan.
It also depends on what cut diamond you get, some are cheap because the cut is out of style.
Do you have any Idea what she likes?

A sister or mom-in law might help with the cut of the diamond.

she isnt picky at all. she doesnt wear jewlery so anything will be nice to her. she cares more about the thought, not the price or how huge something is, just a nice ring with a little rock on it would make her tear up!

Good that makes it easy.

Stay away from princess cuts and rounds. "In style"
Marquise is your best bang for your buck. " I love puns" :)

Bigger or same size rock for less money, and yep...... when it comes to diamonds, size does matter.

All that's left is how to "spring" it on her. :D

Have fun with it.

well i got a ring tonight, its a white gold with a 1/4 carat of diamonds, i think there are 10 total in it, its really gorgeous, she is gonna :q:q:q:q, it wasnt the most exspensive ring for sure, but its the thought that counts, its far more ring than she previously had, it was on sale for $300 bucks. she is gonna be shocked she has no clue this is coming, and when she sees it, i garauntee tears and some poon later on !!!!!! lol. i am happy with my purchase and i am sure she will be too, after all, she already said i am not getting anything, which is fine it is about our kids anyway, but i had to do this for her.

well i gave it to her early. she absolutely loves it but its 2 sizes too big, so when we went to the mall earlier today we dropped it off to be resized. she's all smiles again! it was worth being broke for the next few days lol!

Members online

Back