Anyone know about air suspensions?

aaronearles

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just so we're clear - NOT for the LS.

I just got a conti, and I posted this in their forum, but they're useless over there lol. No there's just a lot more people here. Anyway, if you can help, please read on...

I purchased a 98 last week and it was sitting on the ground with little to no air in the bags, so I get it home and jacked up, test the compressor with direct 12v, it's good. Test the solenoids with direct 12v, both good. Manually fill the bags by opening the solenoids with 12v and running the compressor with 12v, bags fill and hold air for days.

I start the car, and get "Check Ride Control" immediately. The guy I bought it from tells me the car was up and had no error message when he parked it, but it's been sitting for a year, and eventually leaked all the air out of the system. So the compressor is not seized, the lines, solenoids, and bags are all good. I have no way to test ride height sensors, and I have no power coming out of the compressor relay at any time, but I think that's because the system detects an error, and never tries to turn the relay on.

So I'm down to the following possibilities:

Bad Compressor Relay
Bad Ride Height Sensor/s
Bad Vehicle Dynamics Control Module

Right? It doesn't seem like any of these would go bad from sitting, but I don't know...
I did take the covers off the height sensors, and the circuit board underneath looks good on both, no burns or anything obvious. I also opened the Control Module, and there is no visible damage to it either, although when I start the car with it unplugged, I get no error message, it's like the car doesnt even have the air ride system. Plug it back in, and I get the message, so I'm thinking that the VDCM is what checks the systems components and displays the error message, so it must/should be good?

I've read that the relay only goes bad from excessive running of the compressor, like with a leak, so it doesnt make a lot of sense for that to be bad.

What do you guys think? If I can't figure it out, I'm going to disconnect the control module so no error msg is displayed, and run a switch in the trunk to manually feed the solenoids and compressor 12v so that I can manually fill the bags once in a while as they slowly leak. Any idea how long the system holds air with no major leaks, I'm thinking I could fill it everytime I fill the gas tank if I'm lucky, or of course less often would be nice.

I'd post this in the Mark section those guys would be able to help out since the mark came with factory air suspension

I'd be looking for the air suspension disable switch in the trunk. There should be a rocker style switch that kind of blends in with the carpeting on one of the sides back there. You have to shut the air suspension off when you raise the car and it has to be easily accessible. My last 3 full size mercury cars had this in the left side of the trunk where the rigid carpet panels go from the bottom to the top of the side of the trunk. Good luck. Your troubleshooting seems to point at the switch being shut off. One generally would have the battery go dead with the switch on and no car usage over a few months' time, since the system loses air naturally at some rate.

Members online

No members online now.
Back