Anyone ever paint wheels befor?

MARKED MAN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever painted or had someone repaint their stock wheels. mine are in bad shape with the peeling clearcoat, which i already kindof took care of with some paint stripper. the lips of the wheels look pretty good now but everything else looks crappy. would appreciate any pics you guys may have or tips and techniques befor i get started. :Beer

just get it dipped in chrome. be surprised on how nice they will come out and they will do a good job too.

:soapbox: hi stripped my 91,s w/carb cleaner ,,,,,,worked well ,,,,next is steel wool different grades to get shinnie,, (i like shinnie) :give ,,,,,auto zone has wheel paint,,,, allumniun ,,gun metal,, and clear ,,gonne give it a shot ( one guy i know used the allumniun w/ clear and they looked real good ,,,,but took about 3 hrs each to strip, prep ,& paint) :L good luck regards kahuna steve :dj: :wave

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
just get it dipped in chrome. be surprised on how nice they will come out and they will do a good job too.
how mouch you think it will cost to have stock 16 inch rims dipped in chrome Man

Chroming is quite expensive. It's a several step process and a lot of labor. They don't just "Dip" the wheel...lol, although I know people think this.
Wheel paint at auto stores is mainly for touch up.
Attempting to strip clearcoat and paint wheels yourself is not practical. It will look like crap up close and won't wear worth a sh*t. Have you ever seen a car painted with a spray can? lol. Do the math.
But it looks fine going by at 100MPH. :waving:

Go to or call some local wheel shops in your area and ask them about prices.
I've paid as little as $125 per wheel for a professional strip, lip lathe and refinish/paint.
Chroming will cost you much more than that.!

Do it right and you'll be very pleased...do it wrong, and you'll have to do it right.
Cheers,

MARKED MAN said:
has anyone ever painted or had someone repaint their stock wheels. mine are in bad shape with the peeling clearcoat, which i already kindof took care of with some paint stripper. the lips of the wheels look pretty good now but everything else looks crappy. would appreciate any pics you guys may have or tips and techniques befor i get started. :Beer

Send them to a Powder Coating company, they'll clean them & spray a clear over the polished aluminum, they'll look brand new !!!

Members online

Back