Anyone else have this issue with parts?

Screw-Rice

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ordered all my front suspension stuff from Rockauto. Got to checking out all the parts, and despite all being boxed as MOOG, one of each is very different. One upper, and one lower are not stamped with TRW, and have very different bushings. Obviously I don't feel comfortable running these. Seeing as suspension components, hurt when they fail.

I called Rockauto today, and the rep I spoke to was very helpful. I sent him comparison pics, and he has the warehouse checking their stock so I get the correct pieces.

He did say that MOOG has gone to greaseable bushings. I have built a few of these front ends before (big PITA with hand tools), and they have always been sealed fittings. Anyone else heard of this?

Comparison pics:
Uppers:
IMAG0152-1.gif

Lowers:
IMAG0151.gif

Luckily they stand behind their stuff, and seem willing to help get this corrected as soon as possible.

Moog is only a brand, not a manufacturer. They pack what they have, and don't give any guarantee, that only TRW parts are packed into Moog boxes.
And it's really a pity, if Moog stops packing TRW parts, that are the same as Ford-Genuine-Parts, but a little cheaper.

I just got the same lower control arm from Rock Auto. I don't think I'll order from them anymore.

The ball joint is made by Moog. The forging is different.

All the other ones I've used had the TRW forged arm.

The rubber boot on that ball joint looks like it might last longer than the original ones do. I don't know, I'll probably find out because I put it on.:)

arm1.JPG

arm2.JPG

Update if you have any issues.

Hoping their warehouse will find replacements of the other design to match. The design of the others, looks like a much better setup than the black rubber boot. I'll know Monday what happens.

I don't know, every original lower control arm I've replaced was because there was a hole in that accordian style rubber boot.

This black boot looks pretty thick. I guess I'll see how long this one lasts.

The thicker forging scares me a bit though. Just like cheap tools, they are usually thicker because of lower quality steel.

Comparison pics:
Uppers:
IMAG0152-1.gif

I discovered the exact same parts when I unboxed my uppers this morning. I thought about calling them and seeing what was up, but I decided that I am going to put them on the car. The ball joints on both the old uppers are shot, even worse than I expected. I don't want to take the risk of running the old ones while I wait for replacements.

Keep us posted on how Rockauto handles this for you.

Why order from RockAuto when you can get those parts from O'Reilly's?
I think I ordered 97 Tbird LCA's, it's been a while.

Good deal. I have a brand new set of Moog LCAs (the black versions, not the grey ones) still in the box I was just about to put in the for sale section for $100 for the pair.

So finally made some progress. The rep I dealt with, managed to find the sealed style in a warehouse in Maine. So I had to order them over the phone with him, to ensure they correct ones are sent out. Can't request which warehouse via online order.

They should be here beginning of the week. Assuming they are correct, he will send me a return label to ship the two suspect parts back.

Only thing that annoys me, aside from the delay (initially called on Saturday about this), is that I had to buy the parts again. One everything is fixed, I am going to see if I am on the hook for the initial shipping of the suspect parts. Have a feeling I will be, but we shall see.

Just had the exact same issue.. Looks like I'll be calling them bright and early Monday.
Right side parts are TRW, others are cheapies.

Call Mike S. He is the guy who helped me, so he is the best person to help you, since he has already done the same search earlier this week.

phone: (608) 661-1376 (Ext 292)

Note: Do yourself a favor, and take some comparison pics. I sent some to him, which made the whole ordeal easier.

OK - Moog has switched to using their own castings.
Don't expect to find TRW parts in Moog boxes any more..
Rock auto will still find you the parts if they are available if you contact Mike (thanks dude!).

Thanks Screw-Rice!

No problem man. Glad I found a guy who is willing to go the extra mile.

Only thing that irritates me, is the replacement lower I received is not the exact same style as the other,but close enough. Looks fine, so I am just going to use it.

Call Mike S. He is the guy who helped me, so he is the best person to help you, since he has already done the same search earlier this week.

phone: (608) 661-1376 (Ext 292)

Note: Do yourself a favor, and take some comparison pics. I sent some to him, which made the whole ordeal easier.

Do you have the correct part numbers for the lower control arms?

It's the same part number. Some are the sealed style, and others are the standard black rubber boot. Only way to know ahead of time, is to call and have them physically check in the warehouse.

So which is the better one to buy?

Both work. From what I understand, MOOG went back to the black rubber ones recently. If you can find the sealed style I personally prefer them.

If he still has them, snag the lowers LASER has for sale. You will know exactly what you're getting.

Members online

Back