Anyone change a lower seat cover before?

I tried last week. Didn't get too far. I used a couple of pairs of pliers to pull apart the hog ring clips underneath the seat, then folded the leather back. There are more hog rings in the crease of the seat. Easy to remove, but they won't be easy to put back on without the special pliars you can get for them.

Here's where I ran into problems:

The seatbelt is integral to the seat, it's not connected to the floor. That means likely taking the trim off the 'B' pillar to unbolt it, then dissassembling it all, which I'm not eager to do.

The airbag component on the side of the seat - I don't really want to fool around with it and I can't see how to easily remove it. The seat cover wraps around inside it, making it difficult to remove without taking the airbag apart.

All this is in an attempt to fix the heated seat, although I'm still not sure if it's the bottom of the seat or the back that's burnt out. From what i can see of the element it's still in good shape - although it would only take a little crack to stop it from working.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks guys, I found it in the service manual today. Looks like a battery disconnect for the SRS system and a complete seat removal are in order.

GOOD LUCK! A few years back I had my LS stolen and the jokers damaged my seats. The insurance company thought it was a good idea to not replace the seats but the covers. 9 months, several Lincoln dealerships and auto upholstery shops, and a few grand in car rentals later, they all found replacing the seat cover to be nearly impossible on the LS because of those rings mentioned above. I was told that they're easy to get off but near impossible to place back on. I'm not exaggerating. I was pissed off and didn't believe this at first but in talking to these dealerships and upholstery shops they all seemed honest about it. Nevertheless, after spending more than the claim on my rental cars, the insurance company decided to just replace the seats after 9 months of trying to put new covers on them.

As a matter of fact. If you do get it let me know. I'm still salty over the ordeal. If you get it (especially if it's easy) let me know so that I can rub it in their faces. :)

I just finished this job tonight. 1.5 hours from start to finish. This was not difficult at all. BatMobile, I cant believe that a professional shop could not change this out for you. On a scale of 1-10 this would be a 3.

Care to give us a step by step on how to accomplish this? I think there are quite a few people on here who would love to know how. My main problem looks to be getting the side air bag off.

Also, do you have to remove the back from the seat to do this? Or do you need to make sure the seat is reclined before disconnecting and removing it?

Yes please write up how you did it

I would like to replace the covers also, how did you do it? write it up in detail with the tools you needed also. thanks

car is sold, cant do a DIY without the pics.

unbolt the 4 bolts holding down the seat to the body of the car, unplug all harnesses, the bottom of the seat also has 4 bolts to unbolt so only the bottom has to come out and not the whole seat.

After the seat bottom is out its all cutting old hog rings and putting in new where the old were. Just pay attention to where they go before you take them out and it will be very easy to do.

This is the best DIY I can do w/o the car anymore.

How do you get the seat out without removing all of the trim moulding on the car..where the seat belt is? In other words, how do you get the seat out without triggering side airbags and having to dismantle the seat belt

Answered my own questions. As stated above.

There are 4 bolts holding the entire seat to the car. Two in front tucked under the carpet flaps and two in back under the covers at the rear of the seat tracks. Remove these 4 bolts and the seat can tilt/lean back. You can then unplug the harnesses under the seat, and then you can lay the seat backwards far enough to loosen the 4 nuts underneath the seat cushion itself. Once you loosen these nuts, the actual entire seat cushion lifts up while the base/frame of the seat stays in the car. Unplug the heated seat element plug (you cant miss it) and remove the cushion.

For removing the actual leather, I strongly encourage getting a nice pair of hog ring pliers and new hogrings. You can get these on ebay or at your local auto upholstery shop. Using pliers to remove the old hogrings (instead of using heavy duty snips/wire cutters) is just asking for aggravation and you also may end up pulling the bars through the foam cushion. Do NOT be afraid yo push DOWN on the foam whenever you are cutting the hog rings/installing hogrings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back