Anybody ever officially lose their keys?

Rivers

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen mine in over a week, and two days in a row, all day long I tore apart my house looking for them. Even went on Google, typed in "how to find lost stuff," :D followed the twelve step method, and nothing.

They're long gone, and possibly stolen. I've accepted the possibility that one day I'm going to come home and see my car is gone.

My question is anybody have to deal with this before? Getting the keys replaced, as well as the locks, and remote? I get the feeling this might be quite expensive..

No, I always know where they are, I have three set of keys/remote fobs, one with me or in the same place at home where I empty my pockets, or locked in the car when out and about, two in a safe place at home, plus one valet key hidden in my Lincoln accessible by driver door keyless entry keypad. On a 2nd gen if missing key/fob, just owner reprogram the remaining keys/fob then missing key may get someone in the car but they will get an alarm and it will not start.

If you have at least two working keys left, you can erase the lost/stolen key and add a new key yourself. If you don't have two working keys, you'll have to go to a dealer or good locksmith (unless you have the right scan tool) just to be able to add another key.

Note that erasing the lost key won't keep whoever has it from unlocking the door without setting off the alarm, but it will keep them from starting the car.

If you have at least two working keys left, you can erase the lost/stolen key and add a new key yourself. If you don't have two working keys, you'll have to go to a dealer or good locksmith (unless you have the right scan tool) just to be able to add another key.

Note that erasing the lost key won't keep whoever has it from unlocking the door without setting off the alarm, but it will keep them from starting the car.

Even if you have 2 working keys you can't erase the lost key. The dealership or locksmith will have to access the I/C with the NGS to erase all the stored keys.

Even if you have 2 working keys you can't erase the lost key. The dealership or locksmith will have to access the I/C with the NGS to erase all the stored keys.

Sorry forgot. The scan tool I have will erase keys and that's what I was thinking of. If the OP also lost the remote and has a gen II, then he can erase the lost remote himself. (If he has gen I, then that too requires a dealer.)

i did this once, just after getting the car. to this day still dont know where they went.

did have to take it to the dealer to have them make me another. did make sure they erased the old key from the computer, and had them make two sets, this way, even if i lose the 2nd key that came with the car, i will be able to program them myself.

I lost mine one night, me and buddies spent about 4 hours looking for them.

Long story short, they were found in a bag of doritos on the coffee table.

Good night.

Thank you all, that seems a lot more simple than I actually thought.
For the record though, unfortunately I have a gen 1, and it is both the remote and valet key that are missing (i kept them together because i like the way the valet key looks more :rolleyes: ).
I'm gonna call up the dealership tomorrow.
I lost mine one night, me and buddies spent about 4 hours looking for them.

Long story short, they were found in a bag of doritos on the coffee table.

Good night.

Powerful post.

Members online

No members online now.
Back