Any interest in CDC look-a-like mesh?

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get some mesh from the company pektel bought the Mclaren look-a-like sheets from. It's a weaved mesh like the CDC mesh and the one they have is very very similar in size to the CDC mesh. There is one that is slightly smaller and slightly larger then the real cdc mesh, I measured, and we are probably going with the one that is slightly smaller. The difference is very minimal. I am in for sure, Ls4me seems pretty interested as well. So far it's me and him that have been talking about it so I made this thread to get others on board. I called today and got some info, but the sales guy was not there today to get me all the details. I will call tomorrow again.

Here is the mesh I am talking about and we would get it in a diagonal cut like the cdc mesh.It looks to be actual size in the pictures, you can take a ruler and measure and it will be the same when you get it. CDC mesh is in between #3 and #4 and even those 2 are close so you can see there will be minor differences.

http://www.ametco.com/wirecloth/index.php

Pektel managed to get him and 3 others on board for his buy. The total came out to 65 shipped per person for pieces big enough for a top grille and bottom grille with extra for possibly one more set, or if you mess up as back up. I have to talk to the right guy to get the price of the sheet so prices will come later. The company cut them in 2 pieces and shipped to each person address from the company when pektel did it. Planning on doing the same.

I have been wanting to buy this sheet since I got my cdc grille. If not enough people jump in on this, I'll just buy it regardless and try to make grilles to sale, but it's better if you do your own.Anyone else on board? It will bring th price down and you'll have a mesh that looks better than that welded flat mesh from ebay.

Here are some pics for those who dont know what a cdc mesh looks like.

CDC1.jpg

CDC2.jpg

MINE

Inventory014.jpg

Inventory005.jpg

i got the bumper only for sale if anyone needs one ...lol

By this do you mean we will need a template? Is there one floating around here?

You mean one to cut the grille? I can make a template from my cdc mesh. How do you do a template. Is it just a drawing not to scale with measurements and that sort of things?

i need one send me pm with info

This is just for the weave mesh. If you mean a complete grille with that mesh by "I need one", that'll be a little later when I have more time to fab some up. I will be picking up an extra stock grille to see how is will mount with that.

Pektel got some of that stuff made up for us a while back. I bought one but never bothered to try and put it on, so I sold it to someone here.Try a search by pektel's name and threads started by him, You should be able to find it.

:Beer

Is there any way to see what the mesh you are talking about? I really like the CDC, but I kind of want to see the smaller weave if possible.

Sorry, forgot to post the link. First post is updated, thanks for catching that.

The material I got (well, WE got), was sold in 48" x 96" sheets. The material we wanted was perforated plastic, to look like the mclaren grille. It was real sturdy stuff. Too sturdy for my taste, because it did not want to conform to the compound curved design of the lower grille. I could never get it to sit right, but I have kind of high standards when it comes to something like that. If I can't get it to look factory, it's coming off.

The wire mesh would be a different story. But I am not sure the size of sheets it comes in.

Comes in 3' wide and 4'. I dont know if we'll have enough length if we cut it diagonally like the cdc mesh for a lower matching grille. Looks like 4' would be enough for top grille only. If we have it cut how it is in the picture shown in the link, then we would have enough for top and bottom.

The material I got (well, WE got), was sold in 48" x 96" sheets. The material we wanted was perforated plastic, to look like the mclaren grille. It was real sturdy stuff. Too sturdy for my taste, because it did not want to conform to the compound curved design of the lower grille. I could never get it to sit right, but I have kind of high standards when it comes to something like that. If I can't get it to look factory, it's coming off.

The wire mesh would be a different story. But I am not sure the size of sheets it comes in.

Not even shaping it outside and using a heat gun on it to make it bend and stay?

On a gen 1 I believe the lower grille opening is only like 39 or 40"

I never tried a heat gun, Alax. It was not abs plastic though. It was a pvc material. I don't think it's as responsive to heat.

Isn't the CDC grille mesh kind of woven? The link for 3 & 4 just looks like squares, isn't the CDC more like #8 design-wise?

Isn't the CDC grille mesh kind of woven? The link for 3 & 4 just looks like squares, isn't the CDC more like #8 design-wise?

Yes. The others are supposed to be woven also. It's just harder to see with the weave so "large".

They are all woven mesh in the link. It is just hard to see from the way the picture was taken. Check out #3 again but look closely at the shadows on it, it will help you see that it is woven.

So mesh 3 only comes in 3 ft, mesh 4 comes in 3 and 4 ft. If we cut diagonally like the cdc mesh is, we need about 3.5 ft to have a piece wide enough for to make a grille. If we cut diagonally like the cdc mesh, we wont be able to make a piece wide long enough for the bottom grille to match. That is if we cut it diagonally like the CDC mesh. If we chosse to cut it like it is pictured in the link, we will be able to make a top and bottom grille with even the 3ft wide mesh. If we cut it like in the link, out of 3 ft wide, we would get anouop and bottom grilles. Let me know what you guys want.

PRICE- 216 for #4 and 204 for #3. So far we have Ls4me and me in this. If we get a total of 4 ppl we it would be about 54, if we get 5 it would be about 43, 6 would be about 36. I dont think it includes shipping so ad shipping. 6 people is for the mesh cut like in the link, I would have to calculate how many people for it cut diagonally.

Let me know what you guys want, Cut diagonally like the CDC mesh or straight across

PRICE- 216 for #4 and 204 for #3. So far we have Ls4me and me in this. If we get a total of 4 people we it would be about 54, if we get 5 it would be about 43, 6 would be about 36. I don't think it includes shipping so ad shipping. 6 people is for the mesh cut like in the link, I would have to calculate how many people for it cut diagonally.

I would cut it diagonally. IMHO, a vertical pattern would look dumb. It totally lacks character.

where can i find that trim piece that goes along the bottom half, i see them on everyone's homemade mesh grills, just curious, im still pondering the lse grille

It's a CDC only part. You would need a gen2 grille and remove the center section. Someone here did it, but I don't remember just whom.

Members online

Back