Another Overheating Issue...

2000LSMichael

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The past 2 Saturdays I have gotten stuck in traffic and my car overheated and went to the shutdown mode. Both times I lost antifreeze on the road (and both times the "steam" issue as others have described on here). This did happen one other time sitting in a driveway with the a/c on...shut off the A/C and drove down the road and the temp went away.

This only happens when sitting in traffic for 20 minutes or more and not moving. If I am moving, I have no problems.

I left the car sit for a few hours last night, came back and added coolant and had no temp issue when driving home for 35 minutes. One IMPORTANT NOTE was that one of the hoses popped off, which made me loose coolant. I put the hose back on and re-fastened the clamp and had no more problem losing coolant. I DID NOT have the A/C on during the past 2 Saturdays.

Any suggestions??
cylinder head temp sensor?
coolant res. tank?
A/C Ambient air temp sensor?

Try A T Stat ,make Sure The Rad Fan Fluid Level .2001 ,2002 Ls Has A Issue With Rad Fan And Its Up Dated To Latest Part #

if in fact your fan is working properly - test it by starting the car and then turn the AC to full - the fan should kick on reguardless of engine temp. If it does - is no a sure bet - but likely no your fan

the older cars suffer from the degas bottle getting brittle over time with egine bay heat. They develop little hairline cracks that prevent the cooling system from holding the 16PSI - meaning that your coolant boils at a temp lower than designed. It's hard to prove without pressure testing the bottle but my older LS had to swap this. The symptoms are you'll overheat once the car is warmed up and you're not moving.

If you just went through a coolant loss - then you may have to re-bleed the system - it's a bear to do it right but it is another very common issue.

if in fact your fan is working properly - test it by starting the car and then turn the AC to full - the fan should kick on reguardless of engine temp. If it does - is no a sure bet - but likely no your fan

the older cars suffer from the degas bottle getting brittle over time with egine bay heat. They develop little hairline cracks that prevent the cooling system from holding the 16PSI - meaning that your coolant boils at a temp lower than designed. It's hard to prove without pressure testing the bottle but my older LS had to swap this. The symptoms are you'll overheat once the car is warmed up and you're not moving.

If you just went through a coolant loss - then you may have to re-bleed the system - it's a bear to do it right but it is another very common issue.

+100

I've had the the thermostat, hydraulic fan pump, electric fan replaced. Finally the over heating stopped (at least as of last Friday) when I replaced the pump actuator.
Sorry if I got off topic of whats wrong with your car but simply put overheating sucks balls!!!:mad:

I've had the the thermostat, hydraulic fan pump, electric fan replaced. Finally the over heating stopped (at least as of last Friday) when I replaced the pump actuator.
Sorry if I got off topic of whats wrong with your car but simply put overheating sucks balls!!!:mad:

How is it that you would have both a hydraulic and an electric fan? What is yours, a gen 1.5?

+1 on Lucky LS. I also had an overheating issue when the weather was really hot or when my ac was on. I was indeed able to drive for too hours without the ac on, on the freeway, with cool weather, but I think the reason may have been that the ram air was helping my hydraulic fan do its job.
I noticed it would turn somewhat slaughish. It turned out the be the fan actuator. Replaced it and my headache finally went away...

Members online

Back