An interesting set of articles on the Mark VIII and a concept Mark VIII

MN12hybrid

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
An interesting treat! I dont know if you guys have seen these articles in the past, but I just ran into them recently when digging through and parting with some of my old Motor Trend magazines. One of them was from 96 and Titled Americas Most Powerful which included 10 in the list which included the Mark VIII LSC and Mustang Cobra. Most of this is all stuff most of you already know, but I thought the comments regarding the LSC handling compared to the base model was interesting. This was a long article and featured 9 other cars, so if you guys are interested in the rest, let me know.

The next Motor Trend was from even farther back - 1992. It featured a concept Mark VIII based convertible called the Marque X

I just posted this in the Mark VII forum on accident - I need to get some sleep tonight! :rolleyes:

I have no clue if these were posted here in the past but it cant hurt to share - Enjoy!

mt_markviii_article_cover.jpg

mt_markviii_article.jpg

mt_conceptmark_article_cover.jpg

mt_conceptmark_article1.jpg

mt_conceptmark_article2.jpg

Thank you for posting these. I always get a kick out of vintage magazine articles. I'm sure there are many more on the Mark VIII. I remember Hot Rod magazine did a drag strip comparison of a new Mark VIII and a new Cadillac Eldorado... I've searched for it online but couldn't find anything.

magazine collection

Im going through the rest of my magazines - several years worth so anything else Mark related, Ill post em here!

Thanks for sharing these articles. There will always be someone new to LvC who have never seen these. Articles like these makes one appreciate the history and how technically advanced the Mark VIII's were when they were new.

Thanks for posting it up. I enjoy reading these articles.

I love finding my old magazines - I don't have that one though!

Funny how today's v6 cars would easily hit #3 in that list, pickup trucks make more than that Corvette, and a Hyundai sedan out-powers the Viper. Today is the horsepower era, not the 60s!

Funny how today's v6 cars would easily hit #3 in that list, pickup trucks make more than that Corvette, and a Hyundai sedan out-powers the Viper. Today is the horsepower era, not the 60s!

i was thinking the same

the hottest mustang on the list: Cobra 305hp, same as the current base model mustang v6

The engines of today get so much horsepower per cubic inch it astounds me. The 1957 chevy 283 was highly respected for pushing a horsepower per cubic inch ,283 cubic =equaled 283 horsepower in 1957. Today a 4 cylinder 146 cubic inch could get 300 horse I am guessing but not far off.

The engines of today get so much horsepower per cubic inch it astounds me. The 1957 chevy 283 was highly respected for pushing a horsepower per cubic inch ,283 cubic =equaled 283 horsepower in 1957. Today a 4 cylinder 146 cubic inch could get 300 horse I am guessing but not far off.

Well your close. The new Ford Focus is a 2.3L 4 cylinder that has 350 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque to all four wheels. With a six-speed manual and a unique torque-vectoring system. 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds - but its still a four door hatchback.
http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-rs

Maybe... I'm no expert, but I distinctly remember pontiac gto's with up to 350hp or so, stock. The mid 70's and 80's were when the horses dropped. Had a 87 mustang gt that might have had 200hp... on a good day. Of course, the hp in the 60's came from BIG engines, too... that got about 12 mpg if you drove it hard, soooo...

Members online

No members online now.
Back