Amp Question

LennDawg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, i dont know anything about this stuff so i need some help...

i have an amp that says its 400 watts @ 8 ohms bridged... and i have 6 speakers all 100 watts RMS and plus i have 4 tweeters but i dont think the watts are that big on them... now i know them 6 speakers = 600 watts, is this bad on my amp? is it eventually going to fry it? should i get another amp? i have a Pioneer AVIC-N1 headunit if it makes a difference... and i have a 800 watt amp connected to my 10 inch Kickers, so i dont really want 3 amps in the car... would i need to get a more powerful one or is it fine now?

sorry for all the questions :(

400 watts at 8 ohms bridged doesnt give much info. is it a 4 channel amp? im assuming it is. then you should check your ohm load on you amp because with 6 speakers you could be running the amplifier too high. you are most likely not running on an 8 ohm load either. its is probably more around 4 ohms. your probably best to see if you can find a 6 channel amp. i believe that audiobahn makes one.

ya it is 4 channels... i have 2 speakers on the 1st 2 channels and a speaker and a tweeter and the last 2

then i would probably say that you are severely underpowering your speakers. if its 400 wattsx4 and then you have 2 speakers on one line thats 100/2 so thats 50 watts a piece. you would be better off with the tweeters on the headunit and getting a 6 channel amp and hooking the speaker up to that

Do you have a model number for the amp? And the speakers for that matter. Do you have some sort of a passive or active crossover on the tweeter?

Also, I take it the speakers are in each of the 4 doors and 2 in the rear deck?

heres my amp... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13922

heres my speakers... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-400

and ya, 4 in the door, 2 in the rear deck... i believe there are crossovers for the tweeters, not positive...

i also have this amp... http://www.epinions.com/pr-Hifonics_Zeus_Z700_Car_Audio_Amplifier/display_~full_specs .... i didnt use it because it was too big and bulky and it looked harder to mount... would it work better? it has alot more power i think, it still has 4 channels tho with an optional 5th? i dunno how to explain it

DAWG,

It a good amp man, but depending on what you power, it might be enough power or not..

Usually tweeters are run at 4 or 8 ohms, and they usually dont need more than 40 rms each.
since you have 6 speakers that amp will not be suffice.
you need an amp for the mids and another amp for the tweets

The amp is 75x4@4ohm which all aftermarket car audio speakers are....My suggestion.... Ditch those crappy speakers, I dont know if you noticed but those are designed for home stereo use...In a good SQ setup you will pretty much have your front speakers giving you all the sound to the front of you....I went with the alpine type r components in my front doors and I have some type s coaxials in the rear, I didnt spend a whole lot on rear speakers because I dont hear them they are just for rear fill and ppl in the back seat....The rear decklid speakers are not needed since you have subs you dont need the extra mid range out of em and your soundstage will be all screwed if you have 4 speakers whaling at the back of your head....My opinion; I would get 2 new pair of coaxial speakers for the 4 doors and run them off the amp or if you want to spend a lil more get a set of components in the front and some decent coaxials in the rear.

those speakers do not match up with that amp well. the speakers are 8 ohm which is pretty odd for car audio.

on a small budget i would suggest getting new speakers and just amping 4 of them, leaving the rear doors or the rear deck off the HU.

Members online

No members online now.
Back