am i missing something with the serpentine belt?

MaddShadez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to replace the serpentine belt on the 2004 LS v8 today. on my mark it was a ten minute job, the LS however...

I've got the belt mostly off but i can't get it from around the tensioner pulley. it feels like there is a lip on the engine block that stops me from bring the belt from behind the pulley. i must be doing something wrong, i can't imagine it's supposed to be this hard to change a belt.

Here's a pic

rsz_img_20110521_151701.jpg

On my GEN 1 I loosened the bolt for the tensioner about 6-8 turns. That gave me enough room to get around it. I believe it is a 13mm. I'm not sure if it is the same on the Gen 2. Good luck

There is a small lip that does hinder your ability to easily get the belt off and on. I just cut the old one off and installed the new using a pair of pliers to wiggle the belt back into place.

Well it took a few hours but i finally managed to get that S.O.B put on. I had to use brute force to get the old one off. the new one (gatorback ftw!) slipped on easy, but routing it was a PITA. Easily the most frustrating thing i've done to this car yet!

Oh, and I cleaned the engine after that pic while i was in there :)

I was going to say why don't you compress the tensioner to get it off but you got it now..

I had the same problem and the belt was mostly off. Putting it back on was harder. I also have the gatorback and it took me about an hour to get it in. I noticed the gatorback is slightly thicker than the motorcraft and seemed much more stiff. I even knew the routing to have it done correctly but you have so little space to work with on the gatorback. I had to use a screwdriver to put it on the last pulley while compressing the tensioner all the way down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back