Alternator

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Got the alternator swapped out today. Big thanks to Quik for his pictures in a previous thread. I took a number of pictures and hope to get them posted in the next day or two.

I've known for a while the alternator was on the way out. I occasionally would get the check charging system error. It popped up a week ago the first time in months. Then started happening more regularly. Finally, last night every electrical system started dying one by one. The radio, the dash lights, heater, finally headlights. Lukily I was just a mile from home. New (to me) alternator and it is good as new. Thanks to FalecF4 for the good deal on the part.

That guy is still around?

Oh, and good to hear you got your car fixed. The alt does not look very easy to get to/remove/install. At least, not the 30 minute easy swap on my gf's 96 blazer. Front and center on the engine, nothing above it. Toughest part was, oh who am i kidding, no part on that swap was tough. Just wish any job on the LS were that easy. Took me 2 freakin hours to change the tstat.

Yea I thought that guy had left long ago.

Isn't he the one who bought a second junked ls and got his repo'd?

Anyways alot of the regular members here seem to be dissapearing?

And to be on topic. Good job with the alt it does look difficult to swap. I would have gone with an HO alt sice u were downthere anyways. Looking forward to the photos

it really was't that bad. It is a pita to get it out past the lower suspension arm, but that was the hardest part except for putting the new one in past that same spot.

FalecF4 isn't around any more. I've been sitting on this alternator for almost a year now. I also still have the center console I bought from him in my garage. I just got an iPod adapter so I figured I'd put those in at the same time and do the SST swap.

HO would have been great, but I couldn't pass up the price that Falec sold me this one for. Besides, now that I've done it I think I could do it again in about 45 minutes.

how long ?

how old, miles on the old alt before it gave out?

My original alt failed at about 80K. I was pressed for time and the only source with one on the shelf was Autozone. That one lasted about two months and failed as I was in staging at Maxton, requiring a quick trip into town and a thrash by flashlight in the pits. It's failed one more time since so I'm on my third Autozone part. I've found a source that can supply me with a new part with as much as 200 amps output. I'll use one of those when I swap in the new engine. Although we've done the replacement bit several times now, it still takes the better part of two hours.
KS

I've got 60,000 miles on the car at this point. But it is a 2000. If it takes cammerfe 2 hours to swap out the alternator then I revise my 45 minute estimate. There's no way I could do it faster than him. The ford shop manual says 1 hour. Sorry, no video. Maybe next time.

OK, Here's the scoop. First check out Quik's post located here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=414151&postcount=2

I printed out the instructions he linked to located here:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showpost.php?p=29316&postcount=2

I'll refer back to his picture later on for orientation on removal

So, first from the top side remove all engine covers and the intake tube. This is a very simple process.
intake-off.jpg

Now, get your 3/8" breaker bar out. The square end from your breaker bar fits right into the tensioner arm. Pull to the passenger side to get the belt slack and slip it off the alternator. The silver bar coming right at you in the pic is the breaker bar.
tensioner.jpg

You are now done up top. Jack it up and put it on some jack stands, or use ramps so you can get down and dirty.
jackstands.jpg

Underneath remove the splash guards. It takes a very small socket. I of course don't remember which size.
splash-off.jpg

Now we have to move the AC line out of the way. It will continually be in your way throughout the process. So, undo the clip and remove the screw on the bracket (driver side front) so you can easily swing the line back. Don't be afraid to really push it back out of the way when you need to. Quick was smart enought to zip tie his out of the way on his picture (refer to the first link at the top).
ac-clip2.jpg

ac-brack.jpg

Here's my new (to me) alternator. It has two spots where it mounts to the car. In the upper hole you will have a single through bolt with a nut on the back. Reach up and remove the nut and push the bolt through the front to get it out. The bottom uses two bolts which go into the threaded holes on the alternator. Remove the back one and the front one. The front one has a bushing that is permanently connected to it. Don't try to remove the bushing. It is supposed to be there.
new-alt.jpg

Now the fun part. Pry the existing alternator loose and jimmy it around so you can get to the connectors. Make sure the battery is disconnected, then take off the positive lead with a small socket. Then unplug the plastic connector by pushing on it with a screwdriver.

To remove the alternator you have to make sure the AC line is as far back as possible. Look at the picture Quik had of how to position the unit for removal. I had a difficult time getting it out like that. Instead I positioned it so the pulley was up and the rear of the unit was down. (sorry no pic) It worked much better for me that way.

Once the unit is out take a look at the mounting brackets on the car. A bushing may have pushed inward which will make it difficult to put the new unit in place. If that happened do your best to bang it back into place with a hammer, or whatever else you may have handy.

Now reverse the process and you should be golden. Enjoy another frosty beverage in celebration.

Ah, yes. Looks like I've been working on the car again. . .
finished.jpg

thanks!

That's great information and pics, mine is the V6, it may be easier, maybe not. I've got 114k on my 01 and the alternator is still original. I expect someday I'll need to replace it. I don't recommend reman alternators.

R&R alt

Hey Rainjacks---
It could simply be that I'm all thumbs, you know. First replacement was done by a friend who sometimes helps me out. He did it by himself while I was out chasing some other parts . I got a lifetime warrantee reman from Autozone because it was a Friday. Any other source was telling me I could have one 'sometime next week'. Both other times we had to R&R, I had help from my Crew Chief. We've been wrenching together ever since the mid-'60s. And the best way to get the !@#$#@! thing to come loose is to fumble with it until it finally falls on your head. It was particularly fun in the dirt, by flashlight, in the dark in the pits at Maxton. I'd hope to do it one more time. When I have the entire engine/trans assembly in its cradle and setting on the floor in the shop we've arranged to use for the engine swap. :D
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back