alternator whine

00_slow_5spd_ls

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
im having some serious alt whine issues. i just installed my icom 2200h 2 meter rig in the car and am having some whining going on. does anyone have the same issue, or have a suggestion?

Alternator whine is usually caused by some type of ground issue. Double check all your grounds and make sure you have good solid connections with the battery points. I would also suggest looking at doing the "Big 3" if you have not done that yet.

Double check all your grounds and make sure you have good solid connections with the battery points. I would also suggest looking at doing the "Big 3" if you have not done that yet.

Got any specific grounds to check? There are alot of grounds on the car. Also, what is the "big 3?" Thanks.

I think he is talking about a short wave radio, not a big honkin' thump machine.

I used to isolate alternator whine from ignition interference by bringing in a charged battery and running the audio system off a separate power source. It instantly confirmed for me that it was not ac on my dc, it was emf emissions from the engine itself getting picked up by the antenna.

Well, I guess that is always a possibility too. I was wondering why I never heard of the Icom...

yeah, this is the rqadio in there

0102lrg.jpg

antenna is a 19 3/4" whip off of the trunk lip. i am going to try and build my own filter for it at work today. i also heard of addiding a capacitor to the alt. the pos lead on the feed point, and ground the neg out to the chassis.

Members online

No members online now.
Back